Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer Help

Mirafin
Dabbler

New Customer Help

Hi all,
I have just moved into a new home and have been having a nightmare getting the internet (currently a month without!)
My Plusnet has been activated and my router arrived yesterday, I have followed all the instructions in the guide that comes with it, however i cannot get it to connect.
The broadband light is on steady green indicating that it has connected to the exchange, however the internet light remains off!
I have manually entered my username and password (at least 5 times!) but it still does nothing
Plusnet have raised a log with the fault team who should come back to me within the next 72 hours but i was wondering if anybody on here has had a similar problem?
I cant be too frustrated with plusnet yet as they have only just taken over the service but after nearly a month without internet im starting to get a bit fedup!
38 REPLIES 38
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Customer Help

I've just had a look over your account and can't see any obvious problems that may be causing this. One of my colleagues did place an order to update the 'realm' you connect to in order to ensure this is set correctly for your line, but that completed.
Can you try connecting up again, ensuring the username you enter into the broadband username section on the router has the @plusdsl.net part on the end.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mirafin
Dabbler

Chris,
I have tried and still nothing happening?
Is there anything my end that can be causing this?
Chris
Legend

If the username and password are entered correctly then there shouldn't be anything else you need to do.
Could you try updating the username to the following (the password can be anything)
bt_test_username@plusdsl.net  - you probably won't be able to browse, but the internet light should go green if it connects.
If that fails try:
bt_test@startup_domain - again the light should go green.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mirafin
Dabbler

Thanks Chris,
I will try that when i get back home 🙂
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

however the internet light remains off!
That sounds slightly odd!, assuming it's a standard PN router wouldn't you normally expect it to be either GREEN when ok OR RED if authentication is failing. OFF sounds like the router is configured ( or connected ) incorrectly and it's not even trying to establish a connection

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I was thinking they aren't using a PN supplied router so TR069 won't apply.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

my router arrived yesterday
I was going on this.
If it is a PN router, could it possibly be incorrectly configured for Fibre rather than ADSL and so is trying to make the ppp connection via the WAN port ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mirafin
Dabbler

How would i be able to check this?
dick:quote
Chris
Legend

The dispatched router is showing as an ADSL one, rather than an FTTC one.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

How would i be able to check this?
Like that I hoped! Thanks Chris Smiley
Let's see what Chris's suggestion of tryig the bt test user does .

Mirafin
Dabbler

Haha Chris didnt dissapoint then! 🙂
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The CRT rarely do, they're a pretty good bunch.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

IIRC, it might depend on the circumstances if/when the Red light doesn't remain after a while, well on the 582n anyway.
Surely logging into the modem/router in the Broadband Connection Internet box should show what the failure was (eg.Authentication Failure).
Mirafin
Dabbler

The internet light doesnt come on at all, like its not even trying to connect