Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer, Can't get Online

Rodney
Dabbler

New Customer, Can't get Online

Hi guys,
I'm trying to set up a friends broadband but i'm getting no joy.
They went 'live' on Tuesday - got confirmation via e-mail but i spent an hour yesterday trying to set it up but failed.
I have followed the guide on here and in the booklet.
I think the issue is to do with the Router Internet light now staying on - sometimes it flashes then off then on then red and so on, pretty frustrating.
They did have the phone connected via an extension lead so i got rid of that and tried directly into the master socket using a filter then turned router on then laptop but it still won't connect.
I have logged into the router webpage and hit connect but afterwards it comes up with a Authentication Failed.
I have tried various things to get it to work but getting no where fast.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: New Customer, Can't get Online

Quick look at your account on here shows that we are capturing password incorrect errors when you try to connect.  Have you changed any of the settings in the router?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The password is the same as the password you use to log in to the Plusnet portal.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How can you look at the account when he is referring to a friends broadband
Rodney
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Nope, just connected the Router and turned it on. I entered the username/password as down on the sticky label.
Kelly
Hero

Good question Jim!
Interesting that I'm seeing errors on your account though Rodney!?
Kelly Dorset
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding the info on the sticky label.
I really doubt that Plusnet issue routers with the username and password on a sticky label are you sure that isn't the username and password for accessing the router
The username and password would have been set up during the ordering process
Kelly
Hero

What's the username of the guy with the problem?
Kelly Dorset
Rodney
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly
Good question Jim!
Interesting that I'm seeing errors on your account though Rodney!?

I can't answer that one! i did try quite a few passwords that we had wrote down to try and get online so maybe that's why.
Here's a few pics i took whilst trying, thought maybe they could explain it better perhaps
Rodney
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Regarding the info on the sticky label.
I really doubt that Plusnet issue routers with the username and password on a sticky label are you sure that isn't the username and password for accessing the router
The username and password would have been set up during the ordering process

Yeah sorry i used that info to access the router page just to make it clear.
I have a bunch of passwords/usernames jotted down - one for webmail/forum etc etc i'm wondering if i put the right one in but i've tried them all!!
Kelly, his username is ianlees1.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Rodney,
I'm going to start looking into this now, I'll come back to you shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Rodney
Dabbler

Hi there,
Much appreciated, thanks.
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I can see the problem straight away, the wrong connection password has been set on your friend's router. I can see this from checking the connection logs on our systems.
Just to clarify it looks like there may be some confusion between two sets of login details. The ones listed on the sticker on the router are for the wireless connection between the PC and the router. The page on the bottom left screenshot is where you wanted to be, it looks like the picture you took just cuts off a link on the top right of the screen that says 'configure' that allows you to change the login details.
See if you can get yourself back on that screen and check the password with your friend, if their in doubt or it still doesn't work you'd need to contact our support centre to confirm the details.
Once you've got that sorted let me know if you have any other difficulties.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Surely the new router is configured for easy start so after being plugged in it should sync with the exchange and connect to Plusnet automatically. The router should then configure itself with the user's login credentials and restart with those details to complete set-up. This process takes about 5 minutes.
Resetting the router to factory defaults (using the pin-hole button on the back) might be necessary to restart this easy start process.
Some of those images appear to be associated with wireless set up which will require information from the sticky label, in particular the Wireless Key.
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes, the router should be auto-configured, our RADIUS logs seem to indicate a password failure. Unfortunately I'm not able to see what details are being presented. The OP might want to try a factory reset but that will probably blank the details out altogether as easy set up is dependant on a set of generic login details being present.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team