cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Community Site - coming soon!

petejackson
Grafter

New Community Site - coming soon!

If you're a regular here you've probably heard us mention that we've been working on a new design or 'skin' for Community.  We've been working on this for so long that perhaps you thought we'd never launch it.. well I'm here to tell you that we're very close now.
Today we put live some modest 'backend' code changes that we need in order for the blog and article content to fit the new layout.  And we're so close now that we think we might have a go at rolling this out tomorrow. (I know, I know. I nearly had to go have a sit down myself).
So, if you see the whole Community change to a new beautiful design you'll know what's happening.  It might go a bit funny when you first load the site after we've rolled it, but if you refresh your browser you'll be fine (press CTRL-F5). It's the first step to a whole load of new features and developments we'll be introducing into the site this year. And we very much hope you like it and enjoy it.
We've been getting your feedback throughout our beta testing over at http://community.beta.plus.net/ and please, if you see anything broken (although I sincerely hope not), please do shout out in the forum thread here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,60164.0.html
Thnx all.
36 REPLIES 36
petejackson
Grafter

Re: New Community Site - coming soon!

OK.. we're there.  Right now, other than a couple of minor font size issues on the 'tag cloud' we're ready to proceed with rollout.  We hit a few snags this afternoon that has delayed us but we're very confident of this rolling tomorrow (6th Feb).
The process for doing this is as follows.  We will first roll the new skin from gamma to an isolated portal server and test that everything is working and set-up correctly.  Once we are happy with this we will roll from isolated across all of our servers.  Once this has happened you will see the new design.
Thanks everyone who has helped us with not-inconsiderable bug fixing over the past few weeks.
(Testers; please note that the beta site may still contain some issues that have been subsequently addressed on our gamma testing platform).
Not applicable

I am sure that all you PN staff have been working very hard on this project and we should be grateful but (too late I know) FWIW I like this one. Nice and clear for my ageing eyes!
Good luck with the roll out.
petejackson
Grafter

We're going to roll this new design out early this afternoon.  Please be prepared for your forums to look a bit garbled if you're reading them during the rollout period.
If this happens to you, please force a refresh of your browser (Windows users press CTRL-F5) then you should see our new shiny design.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can I suggest you post a sticky topic in this forum with the subject:
***Forum layout corrupted - please press CTRL F5***
and then explain what's going on in the body of the topic.
I'd lock it as well and then delete the topic after a couple of days.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Current plan:
Stage 1:  Upgrade version of Wordpress from Mu to the latest single version on the isolated server.  You guys won't be able to see this  DONE
Stage 2:  Above upgrade on other 3 servers.  You may see oddities at this stage.  DONE
Stage 3: Apply new skin across 4 servers  DONE
Stage 4: Apply skin to SMF forums.
Stage 5: Go to pub.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Stage 6: Roll back to previous skin Cheesy
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
James
Grafter

Nah, that's stage 5.  The last stage has to be go to Pub otherwise some weirdness might start happening Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Look like it time for stage 5!
Damn, it's only half three....
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Stage 5: Roll back to previous skin
Stage 6: Go to Pub
Stage 7:......couldn't care a monkey's Roll_eyes
Edit:
Stage 8: Community (e.g jelv) commences testing of live site.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chillypenguin
Grafter

Yuk, I should have paid more attention, this new skin is awful, please can we have the old one back, or at least one that is readable!
James
Grafter

Chilly,
Sorry, are you being serious or sarcastic.
If the former, how is it not readable?
mattdanielc
Grafter

I preferred the old style myself (sorry!) it seemed more akin to 'plus net' colours on your main site.  Maybe change the colours a bit so the main site flows with this for consistency?
melise

I love the new-look Community Site...it now has its own identity...very nice! MMJ
Colin
Grafter

Part of the design was that it wouldn't resemble the PlusNet colours, the purple in the old one wasn't deliberate - bearing in mind we need to encompass Force9, Free-Online nad Metronet as well.