Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Community Site Skin - Testing/Feedback

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Community Site Skin - Testing/Feedback

Midnight Caller
I don't have poor eyesight but I am using a 22" widescreen at 1680 x 1050 and I like the font a little bigger as my preferred eye to screen distance is about 36"
Hence my harping on about font size and clarity
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Colin
... we've been working on doing a redesign of the Community Site over the last few months ... and are now able to make it available on our Beta site for people to test.

... If you have any comments to make, please append them to this tread.

A qualified "yes" but the sea-of-white factor has to some degree been retained because there are no bar/line separators between aspects across the page.  There are dotted lines horizontally between different forums (but no downward lines) and thin lines horizontally between posts and slight grey-to-white variations vertically on the 'unread topics' page, but the 'sea of white' is still the over-riding factor (though the coloured background is an improvement).  Sorry 😕
Screenshot below of what was actually visible on my screen (one step up from 800x600) for the unread posts page (the header bar etc. and the items relating to the login have been removed from the top):
Link
It all looks a bit anaemic / undefined (quite apart from the odd column presentation which is presumably sort-able, and the fact that some of the wording went off the right hand side of the screen).
Sorry guys as I know a lot of work has gone into this, but no doubt most of the practical stuff at least, is fixable.
Regards,
Penny.
Moderators note by Roger (rogerloxton) Image converted to link as it was stretching the screen  Wink
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Penny,
The strange column widths were because I had changed my display name from jelv to howtomakeyourselfveryupopularintheforums (I did have it even longer than that at one stage). I have commented earlier in this topic that a limit on the name may be necessary.
I have now changed my name back so the display is back to normal.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

On a widescreen monitor full size 1680 x 1050 it looks very odd - this is a reduced size screen print so isn't readable
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: jelv
The strange column widths were because I had changed my display name from jelv to howtomakeyourselfveryupopularintheforums

Thanks for the clarification Smiley  sorry but I hadn't seen the earlier post, don't get here much these days due to other commitments and also it (the current version) still does my eyes in so any time I have spare tends to be spent at PUG rather than here.
The 'new CommSite layout' is better in some ways but the lack of clear separators sideways or upwards/downwards on most of the types of pages is still (to me at least) visually de-stabilising.  Fair enough if that's what everyone else prefers 😕  but to me it's a marked disincentive to visit.
Maybe there's a subtle hint there somewhere Cheesy  I wouldn't have commented at all save that I put forward so many different types of alternatives, at the outset, and I'd hoped I guess that the need for visual differentiation and separation (by some visitors, at any rate) might have been more definitely met in the 'new layout'.
I guess whatever's done is never going to suit absolutely everyone, so not much point in commenting further really, for me, anyway 😕
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I think you need to limit the length of a display name!

This topic might help:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=104702.0
avalon
Grafter

I also feel there is too much white and a little more definition could be introduced easily by minor changes to introduce a little colour/shade into the background elements of the theme.
I think the text could do with a little more contrast with the background to improve readability for those with vision problems.  A slightly larger font would also improve things.
Finally, what's with the little image of a guy wearing a T-shirt with the word "Root" on it that appears behind quoted text?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I was wondering if more appeared on a longer quote, but
is the full image. I can't figure out what it's relevance is either. Huh
Colin
Grafter

It probably came from the theme we modified... Either myself or one of the design team will pick items up either today or tomorrow (as Jonny is out today)
Adam1V
Grafter

i prefer the header along the top, but I think the body / main content needs some red to match, looks a little plain.
Colin
Grafter

Quote from: MauriceC
2)  There appears to be something odd in the 'Latest forum posts' section both on the Home page and where it appears on the Blog page.  If it's a date it looks wrong?  If it's not a date, what is it?

I can't see what you're talking about... can you show me a screenshot?
Colin
Grafter

When starting a new topic, what is the box under the subject for?

Something we were trying out on Friday... didn't realise it had sneaked it's way in to the new skin.
Colin
Grafter

Does this summarise feedback so far:
- Navigating to forums, Login tab appears at the top.
- Forum font should be consistent with the front page
- Blogs / Poll link doesn't change colour
- More definition needed on main forum view.
- Forums need their about link changed to blogs.
- Bug in http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,59284.msg483443.html#msg483443
- New Icon is rather wishy-washy.
- Forum subject column is narrow and causing line breaks
- Display name length needs limited.
- Scrollbar on signature when not needed?
- "There's a big gap between the end of the post and the line above the signature. In that you have Last Edit information (if present), Report to Moderator, IP Logged and if it is one of your own posts, the Quick Edit icon. I can't see why the quick edit icon has to be on a line on it's own and couldn't be on the same line aas the other items (that could be done on this version as well)."
- Forum front page looks very stark with no definition between the forums etc.
- Lack of seperators in table cells
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Is there any way you could impose a filter on the community news stories on the front page so that the number of EOD's is limited to a maximum of say three. There will be times when anything other than EOD is buried way down the page. How about having a flag you can set on items to say that they should not appear in that box and having something to set the flag on the oldest EOD when you publish a new one?
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Colin
Quote from: MauriceC
2)  There appears to be something odd in the 'Latest forum posts' section both on the Home page and where it appears on the Blog page.  If it's a date it looks wrong?  If it's not a date, what is it?

I can't see what you're talking about... can you show me a screenshot?

Screenshot attached
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.