Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Community Site Skin - Testing/Feedback

Colin
Grafter

New Community Site Skin - Testing/Feedback

Hello Guys and Gals,
Right, as some people may know, we've been working on doing a redesign of the Community Site over the last few months. We've had a final push on it over the last week, and are now able to make it available on our Beta site for people to test.

If you wish to take a look at the skin, then head over to http://community.beta.plus.net/ and you can have a look. (Note that not all the accounts that exist on this site are avilable on the Beta site so you may not be able to sign in).
If you have any comments to make, please append them to this tread.
It's Friday afternoon, and we're all going home for the weekend so we might not respond until Monday though Wink

Colin
209 REPLIES 209
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: New Community Site Skin - Testing/Feedback

When logged into the site, and navigating to the Forums, you get a "Login" tab at the top. Smiley
B.
jwing
Grafter

Yeah we're working on that at the moment i don't think the login/logout in the top bar on the forums has actually any functionality to it at the moment ie. its static HTML code  Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Colin.
Can you please make the basic font on the forum the same as the home page
MattB

Clicking on the Blog or Polls tabs doesn't "light up" the tab although it does display the page correctly.
LiamM
Grafter

Really like the skin, aside from the lack of definition of some of the tables. 
The thread view is good with the white / grey definition.  But I think there should be some more definition seperating some of the content on the main forum view instead of it being a blank white background.
The same could be said for the calendar view :-
http://community.beta.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=calendar
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I'm not a fan of it, A bit too much like pcworld for my liking.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Generally I prefer this new skin.  The Colour combinations are a lot less obtrusive!
A couple of observations:
1)  I agree with Liam's comments on the amount of 'White space' in the forums.  Too stark on a widescreen monitor.
2)  There appears to be something odd in the 'Latest forum posts' section both on the Home page and where it appears on the Blog page.  If it's a date it looks wrong?  If it's not a date, what is it?
3)  The 'Tabs'.  Default is Home displayed as White.  Click 'Forums',  on 'mouse over' goes Orange until new page loaded, then 'Forum' tab turns White.  Clicking either 'Blogs' or 'Polls' Mouse over turns Tab Orange, but it goes back to the default colour when the page is loaded.
4)  Go to 'Forums' using the Tab and 'Blogs' is replaced with a new Title 'About', so no way to navigate direct from Forums to Blogs?
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've just had to request a new password as I'm not sure which one it picked up. I received the email, clicked the link which took me to the page to set a new password. Entered twice, clicked save and got a screen with just:
File: /local/www/community/forum/Themes/plusnet-new/Login.template.php (main_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 49

The password had been saved.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The clickable icon is rather wishy washy - I bet on some screens it won't be visible.
In the index pages of the forum the subject column is narrow and causing a lot of line breaks (I've been trying resizing the browser window to see how it behaves). Some of the other columns look as if they could be reduced (particularly the first two).
When starting a new topic, what is the box under the subject for?
I think you need to limit the length of a display name!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm not keen on some of the attributes e.g.
http://community.beta.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1909.msg469524.html#msg469524
The quoted text has a thick line line to say that it's a quote - but doesn't say who it's quoting.
The .sig has a scrollbar (even though there is no scrollable content in the .sig).
I still think the body font is either a bit small and/or lack of contrast where you have grey on pale blue.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm not keen on some of the attributes e.g.
http://community.beta.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1909.msg469524.html#msg469524
The quoted text has a thick line line to say that it's a quote - but doesn't say who it's quoting.

That's because the poster didn't include the "author= etc" in the quote. Here's the same post on here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1909.msg469524.html#msg469524
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So I see - but I still think the beta isn't quite there yet though.
The Beta post takes about 11cm of vertical space, and only 8 cm on the current version - and the "old" version is also more readable.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's a big gap between the end of the post and the line above the signature. In that you have Last Edit information (if present), Report to Moderator, IP Logged and if it is one of your own posts, the Quick Edit icon. I can't see why the quick edit icon has to be on a line on it's own and couldn't be on the same line aas the other items (that could be done on this version as well).
The other problem with that post (you can see it if you quote it) is that it has a number of blank lines at the end of the post which makes it appear worse. I would have thought stripping trialling blank lines would be a good idea. That applies to this version as well...

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
Colin.
Can you please make the basic font on the forum the same as the home page

I agree with you Oldjim.