cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build Property - Ordering Fibre

cwardle

New Build Property - Ordering Fibre

Hi,

I am due to move into my new home on the 15th September and the developer and BT have confirmed my address is registered with Royal Mail, the property is also fitted with phone lines - just not activated.

Plusnet website finds my address okay but fails to proceed through to the order and asks me to call you direct.  I have called 3 times now and have been advised different messages.

The first person advised me that you could take care of the activating of the line etc and I would need to sign up to ADSL first and then once in the property upgrade to fibre once you guys understand the line capabilities, he mentioned I could do this online by entering my address manually, I tried this and it didnt work so I called back.

Both the second and third person told me they cannot do anything and my only option is to go with BT direct for my first year (line rental and package) and to contact you back in a year if I want to switch.

Surely this isn't true?  I've getting very mixed messages at the moment and it is crucial I sort something out ASAP (work from home alot) and ideally want to go with Plusnet due to recommendations.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: New Build Property - Ordering Fibre

Hi there.

I'd like to check this myself for you. Can you PM me your address and/or landline phone number?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwardle

Thanks for reply, I have just PM'd you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the details. I've checked this as there are no records of your address in the wholesale ordering systems, it doesn't look like we can provide you with any type of broadband service at this time I'm afraid. Sad

It may be worth asking the developer for more info on the type of service that's available for you to order. It's possible there's an FTTP [Fibre To The Premises] service available through a non-BT based supplier.

Sorry for the disappointment and inconvenience caused.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwardle

Thanks, I know only ADSL and FTTC are available on the site.

So does this mean some of the operators I spoke to today are correct, I can only go to BT?

Thanks.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Is it possible to order a phone service from PlusNet and once that's up and running get your Broadband sorted. It would take longer but it would give you the ISP you want.

Brian

cwardle

Hi,

Can I do that? Order the phone line through Plusnet and once thats up and running add on the internet?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

No idea, but hopefully @Gandalf can tell you.

OpenReach are required to treat all providers equally so it shouldn't matter time wise who you order your phone service from. The problem, which is not unheard of, is your new build address does not appear to be on the OpenReach system yet .

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So does this mean some of the operators I spoke to today are correct, I can only go to BT?

It sounds like it I'm afraid

Can I do that? Order the phone line through Plusnet and once thats up and running add on the internet?

Whilst in theory we can get your address built in the WLR systems we use for ordering a phone line, we're primarily a broadband provider and don't offer any phone only packages I'm afraid so we won't be able to set up a phone only account via www.plus.net as there's no broadband availability showing via BTwholesale. Cry

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just to provide a little more info/clarification on this. It's likely that a provider will need to order and activate the phone line through Openreach first, then have broadband availability records updated and place a broadband order on the line.

Problem is that we can't create the account via our own systems.

But we'll be more than happy to transfer an active service once you're up and running in future.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet