Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Broadband Customer. Slow Download and Upload Speeds

azztheraz
Grafter

New Broadband Customer. Slow Download and Upload Speeds

Hi,

I left Sky Broadband (achieving 7Mbps; 3Mbps minimum download speeds), to achieving a measly 1.2Mbps download with yourselves!? How is this possible when the only thing that has changed is the provider and the broadband hub??? I have the same wires, same set up, same usage. Now, myself and partner can scarcely use our smart phones/ tablets at the same time without having to wait an age for any social media stream to load. Streaming a movie from Netflix, you might as well go down to the supermarket and buy the DVD and watch it, because it will still be buffering by the time your back. I have to ask everyone in the household to switch off WiFi connections so I am able to use the laptop for emails and browsing etc. This is just not acceptable. The broadband service (if you can call it that??) you are providing (questionable...) is just not acceptable. We have recently left Sky TV, line and Broadband due to cost issues (I am now seriously questioning this decision, and why it is more beneficial to pay the extra for a better service). You seemed the next best option. Good value and second to none customer service .... and the company motto of "We'll do you proud." I am in no way able to agree with this. Due to not having Sky TV any longer (not your fault obviously) we require an 'acceptable' download speed to be able to stream iPlayers, ITV Hub etc. to enable us to catch up with TV we inevitably miss having busy schedules with 2 young children. It took my partner 1hr 30 mins to watch a 30 min episode of Eastenders on the iPlayer yesterday. Please explain to me how you can justify this.

I sincerely hope this is just a bumpy start to an otherwise solid relationship for the rest of the 12 month contract with you, and you can fix the problems and provide the service you claim you can.

Yours Frustratingly,

Aaron Edwards

24 REPLIES 24
azztheraz
Grafter

Re: New Broadband Customer. Slow Download and Upload Speeds

If anyone has any advice I would happily listen. I have a set up that covers most of the broadband help tips. I just cannot understand how the service can be so poor when the only thing changing is the provider and hub. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

If you have moved from Sky, then the set up will be more different than you perceive.  Sky would most likely have been LLU and they would have been using their own in-exchange equipment not BT Wholesale's.

Let's cover the basics...

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below. Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router! Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Is the phone line quiet all of the time?  Dial 17070 option 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

azztheraz
Grafter

xDSL Statistics 

Mode: ADSL_2plus    
Traffic Type: ATM    
Link Power State: L0    

Downstream Upstream    
Line Coding(Trellis): On On    
SNR Margin (1 dB): 8.3 5.9    
Attenuation (1 dB): 61.0 36.6    
Output Power (1 dBm): 0.0 12.6    
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 1928 816    

Path 0   Path 1  
  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 1437 813 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 61 66 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 43 12 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 4 8 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 1 2 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 14 16 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 3.8287 3.9344 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 397 244 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 8 8 0 0
Delay (msec): 8 8 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 1.00 2.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 14399068 13009046 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 310220 141 0 0
RS Words: 64324411 2491620 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 4410907 190508 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 437297 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 477071 157 0 0
OCD Errors: 244 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 244 0 0 0
Total Cells: 208414282 117954974 0 0
Data Cells: 55437221 11994790 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 1675 0 0

Total ES: 68823 104    
Total SES: 1615 0    
Total UAS: 1177 159    

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

azztheraz
Grafter

BTW Performance Test Results:

Download: 1.44

Upload: 0.67

Ping Latency: 58.38

azztheraz
Grafter

Plusnet Statistics: 

Estimated line speed: There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.

Current line speed:1.2 Mb

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

OK, Thank you for that information.

If I believe your router stats, I really cannot start to guess how Sky delivered the speeds you quoted.  The router reports a line attenuation of 61 dB, which implies a line length of 4.4km from the exchange and 2.4Mbps on a really good day.  I need you to gather some more information please...

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

The SNRM is also a bit higher than one might hope for, that might be down to the DLM trying to manage a problematic line.  You did not report back on the QLT I asked you to do.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The estimates for your line at optimistic, assuming the attenuation of 61db is correct, these are between 2.5 and 7.5Mbps.

Personally I'd advise reporting a fault to us at https://faults.plus.net so we can do some further investigations.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
azztheraz
Grafter

Hi, 

Broadband and Line Checker: 

Connected to the Wrexham North Exchange 

Line Check Results Date: 10:28 - 02 May 16
For Telephone No:  
Postcode:  
Phone & Postcode search OK
Exchange Information  
Exchange: Wrexham North BT Code: WNWXN
Distance:- Direct:    1.95 km
  (appx)* By Road: 3.5 km
  Status  
ADSL enabled: May 7, 2003
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (ADSL2+) Enabled
  21CN due : (PSTN) Info N/A
FTTC Some areas
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
Broadband Access Market Broadband Access Market 3
BT price band BTw Pricing Band Band C
BT Line Speed Estimation Available ISPs
Important: The figures below are obtained from the BTw database which is often conservative.
Speeds are best guess estimated on the surrounding area and cannot take into effect individual line conditions which may effect the result, such as the type of equipment you use or other issues which may affect the Signal to Noise Ratio.

If you already have adsl then you may be interested in Max dsl speed calculator which may give a better indication for DSL line speed capability.
Although your exchange is BT owned, this does not limit you to just BT Broadband. A vast range of ISPs are able to supply you with adsl.
Available ISPs are too numerous to list in full, but some examples would be:
      BT
      Eclipse
      EE
      Plusnet
      Zen
ADSL Broadband Other Broadband Technology & LLU Providers
Fixed ADSL:  1024 kbps (1 Mb)
DSL Max:   3500 kbps (3.5 Mb)
ADSL 2+ : 4500 kbps (4.5 Mb)

Most UK ISPs use BT exchange equipment to supply their DSL broadband, for those ISPs you should use the information on the left.
The following is a list of providers offering an alternative service to BT Wholesale based broadband in your area.

LLU Providers    
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  
Available  
Available  
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  

Cable Providers    
Not available  

Wireless    
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  
Not available  

FTTC (Fibre)
FTTC is available in your area.
  Speed Max Min
  DownStream 54000 40000
  UpStream 13200 8500

OK - Matched Phone No.
RAG Test Results

Fixed: Long line green for 1Mbps, Red for 2Mbps
radsl: 512Kbps and 256Kbps available
MAX: ADSL Max is available
TPON: TPON/Fibre not recorded
Check: The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc

adsl 1 linecode : AGEC
  dslmax linecode: AEGEGEC
  sdsl linecode: 1111AARRZZZZNNNN
  Explanation of RAG codes.
OFCOM Broadband Access Classification

Market 3: This exchange has 4 or more principal operators AND the exchange serves 10,000 or more premises. Exchange has been de-regulated.

For more info see Broadband Access Market Classification.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number  on Exchange WREXHAM NORTH is served by Cabinet 1

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean) 54 40 13.2 8.5 -- Waiting list
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 41.5 24.9 10.1 5 -- Waiting list
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4.5 -- 2.5 to 7.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3.5 -- 1.5 to 5.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

This PCP has a waiters list for FTTC services. You may place an order which will be dealt with in turn.

Thanks 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav):Excess white space and extra information from the availability checker removed to make the post easier to read.

azztheraz
Grafter

Hi, 

The quiet line test was not exactly quiet. Quiet a bit of 'white noise' if that is how you explain it. 

Thanks 

azztheraz
Grafter

Hi Chris, 

Thanks I will do this. Having a couple of dropouts lately. Where the WiFi is still available but the connection to the internet is not and devices we are using at the time are requesting a modem restart or to contact my broadband supplier. 

Thanks 

Aaron 

Chris
Legend

@azztheraz wrote:

The quiet line test was not exactly quiet. Quiet a bit of 'white noise' if that is how you explain it. 

Is that with just a phone handset plugged in? If so we should get that looked at.

Also you may want to edit your previous posts and remove your phone number, this is a public forum.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
azztheraz
Grafter

Chris, 

First test was not phone line only (apologies). Just done one phone line direct into mains. Less 'white noise' but still a little I can hear. Not completely silent. 

Thanks 

azztheraz
Grafter

Chris, 

I followed the link to register a fault. They determined that there was no errors with the phone lines. 

Moved onto why my broadband had been dropping out. They had on file that my internet had dropped on average twice a week since I had it installed. Currently attempting to see if the issues are due to the new router Plusnet sent out to me, so have reverted to using my old Sky Hub as it is the only router I have other than the new one. Currently had no dropouts since. Download and upload speeds are the same as the plusnet router, yet it seems to be able to handle a lot more traffic and is able to stream programs quicker and at better quality. 

Will post after the router has been tested at peak times as appose to midday on a bank holiday. 

Thanks 

Aaron 

Chris
Legend

I've tested the phone line and it's showing no fault found, now that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one! Especially if there is definite noise on the line.

Assuming I'm looking at the right account, here's the connection logs: