Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Adapter/drop offs

sassy62
Grafter

New Adapter/drop offs

Hi all..
I am currently using a Belkin 802.11  54 mps USB Adapter ..which is approx three metres from the router..(thompson speedtouch)
Just recently we have been noticing a lot of drop of/page connection timeouts...we never really suffered with drop offs that much before..using the same gear...
The computer runs well and has 2gb of Ram..more than we have had on previous systems without any problems..
The connection icons nearly always show 'good' and/or 'very good' ...even though we are on a lowly 2.5 mps maximum due to our location.
Im wondering, would we benefit from changing the adapter to a newer more powerful one?..and maybe a different brand?..the one we have now is around 7 years old ish...
Thanks..

7 REPLIES 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: New Adapter/drop offs

Hey their PP, Hope you are enjoying being back with Plusnet? Did you get TT sorted out? Anyway regarding adaptors If you are on a poor line rate I would strongly advice being hard-wired, Get as much as you can out of your line possible? Perhaps using these would be a lot better than any dongle?  http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=homeplugs&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=...
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
sassy62
Grafter

Hey Steve how you doing!!??...
Half sorted with TT ...noticed last week they are still taking payments even though I officially managed to leave them for plusnet back in Oct..(had a small issue with plusnet too not honouring their promise of 4 free months..but thats sorted now)
Re hard wiring, no can do due to the location of the computer..its only 3 metres from the router as the crow flies (ive measured it using a crow in flight!) but it would involve a heap of work getting a wire to it..
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Not good, Annoying when you have to do their jobs for them, Anyway I'm good ta, Have you not got a plug beside your PC? These home-plugs just need a socket and some etho cable from It to the PC and really really good.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
sassy62
Grafter

Nah..the actual plug is a short distance away but the comp is upstairs and the BT socket is down..in a cupboard with the router...getting an ethernet cable to it will be almost impossible unless I take the floor up...im depsarate for a decent connection...but not that desperate!
Im going to try a Belkin 150n in it tomorrow and see how that goes...the adapter we have now is really old..it that doesnt work I will add some memory..although I cant see why or how it will make any difference..but its worth a pop
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The 585v7 & v8 routers are very unreliable on wireless, I got constant drop-outs on the v8 to the point where it was chucked in the pile of other thompson v7 & v8 routers I have. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91200.0 for info on other people having the same problems and a firmware fix which may help.
Is the Belkin a new wireless dongle or a new router. If a dongle it probably wont be any better due t the problem being with the router - I tried various 54g, 150m & 300n dngles and all suffered the same drop-out issues so it was not the dongle causing the problems. Best advice is to get a decent router.
WWWombat
Grafter

If you've only recently started getting interference, it might be a neighbour on the same channel. Have you tried changing?
And as you mention the separation is vertical, it makes me wonder... how have you got the aerials aligned? Vertical antennae are usually designed to push out an omnidirectional signal horizontally, but not necessaily quite so good vertically.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
sassy62
Grafter

Thanks for the responses guys..I have picked up on the fact that the drop offs tend to happen more when either myself or the wife are using the web cam...we have spoken to relations abroad and in this country and get constant drop offs..far more frequent than normal..which made me wonder if it was a memory issue?
Are you saying that the Thompson speed touch that PN supplies isnt up to the job?...
Have just purchased a new Belkin 150 adapter to see if there is any difference...will report back shortly