cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ADSL account, less than half the download/upload speed expected :(

Lionsy

New ADSL account, less than half the download/upload speed expected :(

Hi there,
The Plus.Net account recently got activated and the expected download speed was between 18-20Mbp/s, but we're barely connected at 6Mbp/s Sad
Is it possible to have my line checked for faults, or is it just because the account hasn't been fully set up yet.
Also, as an unrelated note, the "Broadband Set up" you get when you first connect, I presume is supposed to change your login on the router? It didn't for mine, after a couple of tries I just went and changed it on the router itself.
Edit - I'm the only device connected to the router at present, nothing else is using it, no network traffic unless I request it, LAN and WLAN have the same results
Thanks Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New ADSL account, less than half the download/upload speed expected :(

can you post the stats from your router - this explains http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
AndyT
Grafter

Hi Lionsy,
Welcome to Plusnet and the forums  Smiley
I've run some testing on your line and can see the physical line speed is currently well below what you're estimated to achieve.  There are a couple of indications that there is possibly a problem with your internal set up - could you confirm if your router is connected directly to your master socket phone socket, with no extension cabling connected.  Could you also check that any other sockets within your property that are being used have a microfilter connected.  This video gives a quick guide on identifying your master socket if you are not sure which it is. 
If not already, I'd advise connecting the router as above and monitoring using an Ethernet cable over the next few days to see if there is any improvement to your speeds.  As your service was only activated today, it can take a few days for the connection to stabilise as the line management works out the best speed to provide to you with a reliable connection.
If you are still experiencing the lower speeds after a few days, there may be a fault on your circuit that was not apparent when I tested your line this morning.  If you're still struggling after the weekend, I'd advise completing the questions at our fault checker and our faults team will investigate further.
Cheers,
Andy
Lionsy

Hi, Andy,
Thanks, I'll make sure it's on the incoming line (It isn't at the mo) and get back to you
Cheers
Edit - I've now plugged it into the incoming line, it has doubled the speed (6 to about 12, upload .5 to about .9) but it's still well under the profile and suggested speed.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Is that connected into the test socket as well?
We can see your currently syncing around 15.4mbps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Lionsy,
Welcome to the forums - that is a really positive change in the right direction.
Internal wiring can really kill a decent speed delivered to the master socket.  Do take a look at the speed issues thread (see link below) and check through all of the advice there and post the requested information here.
Does your main phone socket (where the wire comes into your home) have a removable lower half?  If yes, can you please remove it and plug the filter / router in to the exposed socket - this is the test socket.
Looking at the extension wiring, is it connected to the back of this removable plate?  If yes, how many wires and what colours are connected to which terminals?
If the extension wiring is from the front of the phone socket, using flat D-shaped cable, then that is quite unsuitable for proficient broadband performance.  Ideally locating the router so that it can connect at the master phone socket is preferable, though with correctly wired extensions you might see only a small degradation locating it elsewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.