cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking help, Linksys X3000 plus DD-WRT router

ChimeraX

Networking help, Linksys X3000 plus DD-WRT router

I stupidly bought a Linksys X3000 when we moved into out new apartment thinking that it would be decent enough to fulfil my needs. As it's not a dual band 5ghz capable router, and the transmission rates are pretty poor, I ended up buying an AirPort Express to act as the access point on the network, but now I've decided to shift that to another room and use it purely as an AirPlay device.
Just bought a Belkin router which was stupidly cheap and flashed it with DD-WRT, and have been trying to make this work as the main gateway accessing the X3000 in bridge mode, however I can't make this configuration work at all! I have two bridge mode options on the X3000, Bridged Mode Only, or RFC 2684 Bridged. With either of these enabled, the connection username & password disappear, which in theory should pass the authentication to the router connecting to it using PPPoE.
I've got PPPoE selected on the DD-WRT with the correct username and password entered, and have tried connecting both the WAN port and a normal ethernet port to the X3000, but it fails to connect and obtain a WAN IP.
Putting the X3000 back on RFC 2684 PPPoA and then connecting the DD-WRT to it without changing anything seems to work fine, but says WAN is disconnected, and therefore I can't control the connection from it.
It's a relatively minor issue, but it's bugging me as it should work.
I should perhaps just buy a modem/router with dual band capability, but I'm loathe to spend anymore on ADSL as I'm hoping the cabinet will get upgraded to fibre, and my current speeds via plusnet are relatively pathetic and inconsistent, particularly on the upload speed. This seems to be due to being on the 12th floor and having a high contention ratio more than my hardware.