cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network cable query

rivageeza

Network cable query

Hello, I am looking to upgrade the cable which goes between the bt FTTC modem and the Netgear router from the standard one provided.
I have been searching on ebay for a 1m Cat6 ethernet cable but everyone I have come across so far says it's a patch cable.
Will this be ok? I really want the best possible connection I can get and ideally just want a normal ethernet cat6 cable not a patch cable.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Network cable query

I don't know the difference - if any - but this is one source http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_22?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=cat6+ether...
I suspect there isn't actually a difference except that patch cables can sometimes be crossover cables and that won't work
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Can I ask why? Does it need to be longer for example?
If not you're extremely unlikely to achieve anything at all.
It's presumably a 100mbps LAN connection which doesn't require much at all - an old (defunct standard) Cat5 would be fine, even 4-core CW1308 phone cable would work.
(Cat5e is rated up to Gigabit speeds over 100 metres so you don't need anything "better" than that.)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Patch cables are usually made using multistrand wire for flexibility and are wired pin for pin.
Cross over cables as mentioned by Jim have the transmit and receive pairs reversed.
However most if not all Ethernet ports these days are auto-sensing.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for raising this question rivageeza as it just saved me money.  I had assumed (wrongly) that Cat6 was required for gigabit and I am looking to upgrade my network to gigabit.

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: vultura
I had assumed (wrongly) that Cat6 was required for gigabit and I am looking to upgrade my network to gigabit.

I've got plenty of Gigabit kit, e.g. switches and PC's and not a Cat6 cable in sight. Just happily reused normal Cat5e cables.  Wink