cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Help 2 Routers

FastPat27

Network Help 2 Routers

Hi All
Warning before hand I'm not very network savvy so please excuse my ignorance.  Smiley
Running Fibre here with Plusnet. I have quite a long bungalow with my phone point at one end, meaning the other end is poor signal. I was wanting to setup a second router at the other end to give better coverage so was hoping for some advice on best setup and how to do it.
I have attached a drawing with layout and items I already have but if there is something better I need to buy that's ok to get the right setup. Initially I'm thinking all wired from one end of house to the other as the cable is there. Instantly I see a problem that the tg582n has only 3 out ports so to put it at the main phone point it will be one port short. (PC, Printer, NAS + 2nd Router). So why not put it at the other end..... can the tg582n be setup as an extender whereas I think the wnr1000 can?Huh
This is probably simple to figure out but as I say I'm not good with networking stuff.  Embarrassed
Thanks for any help.
FP
12 REPLIES 12
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Network Help 2 Routers

The following link shows how to do what you ask, but using two technicolor routers.
It's the same principle just apply the settings for the second technicolor to your Netgear.
My mistake I thought the Netgear was to be the remote router.  Embarrassed
Follow MisterW comments below:
http://npr.me.uk/together.htm
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

can the tg582n be setup as an extender whereas I think the wnr1000 can?Huh
It can, npr's link refers to using the TG582n both as the primary router and extension.
There's a couple of minor changes you will need to make to the procedure though. The WNR's default DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. You will need to change this to allow a fixed IP for the TG582n. Change the Ending address to 192.168.1.253 ( page 48 of the manual ). Now using npr's link for the configuration of the TG582 omit the step to change the ip from .254 to .1 but uncheck the use dhcp server. Connect the tg582 using either port 1,2 or 3 to the wnr. The wnr should now be accessible on 192.168.1.1 and the tg582 on 192.168.1.254

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FastPat27

Thanks guys,
I'll give this a go and let you know how I get on.
Appreciate the help
Thanks
FP
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you need more Ethernet ports 5 or 8 port Ethernet switches are only around £10 new.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
FastPat27

Hi guys
I have tried the setup but my main pc now has an unidentified network with no internet connectivity. I can connect wirelessly to both routers though with internet connection on both. Any ideas?
Also, for some reason I can't access the tg582n admin but I can access the netgear router?
Thanks
FP
npr
Pro

Just to be sure I've got it the correct way round:
The TG572 is primary router connected to the BT modem via it's ethernet socket No 4.
You need DHCP enabled on this router.
The Netgear is the remote router connected via ethernet cable from ethernet socket (No 1,2,3,or4) to the Technicolor ethernet socket (No 1,2 or3). The WAN socket on the Netgear is not used.
In the Netgear disable DHCP.
That should work, you should be able to connect to the Technicolor on 192.168.1.254 and connect to the Netgear on 192.168.1.1.
As MisterW suggested, have you changed the netgears DHCP pool range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.253 ?
If you use a ethernet connection to one router can you connect to the other and vis versa?
I would sort it out on ethernet first before trying wireless.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The TG572 is primary router connected to the BT modem via it's ethernet socket No 4.
You need DHCP enabled on this router.
No npr, I think it's the other way round , the WNR1000 is the primary router. Which means DHCP should be enabled on that but disabled on the TG582.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FastPat27

MisterW you are correct. DHCP is enabled in it. I have since did a reset with a pin on the back of the netgear, this has now got me onto the internet on my PC but now wireless doesn't work  Sad
I still can't access the tg582n on the network but maybe if I connect it direct to PC I could?
FP
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I thought you didn't have a problem with internet connection, just not able to access the TG582n?
I can connect wirelessly to both routers though with internet connection on both
I suggest you start from scratch again and do things step by step. Disconnect the TG582n and turn it off.
Check that you can access the internet wired & wireless via the WNR.
Then change the DHCP pool ending address to .253 , Apply and check everything again.
Factory reset the TG582n and connect it locally to a PC (wired) , disable DHCP on it, then disconnect PC and connect TG582n to the WNR.
From PC connected to WNR , check that you can still access internet and WNR (192.168.1.1 ) and TG582n (192.168.1.254 ).
Then set about configuring wireless on the TG582n, probably with the same ssid as the WNR but using a different channel...

npr
Pro

Quote from: MisterW
No npr, I think it's the other way round

That's twice now.  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Glade you're paying attention.
FastPat27

Thanks for the help guys, I think I figured out what went wrong. When I went into the admin on the tg852n to disable DHCP I had 2 ticks v4 and v6. I unticked both at the same time and just clicked apply. I then exited the router powered down and restarted everything. The problem was that it only unticked one of them, they both have to be done separately.
All seems to be running ok now. Credit to you both, is there like rep I can give you?
FP
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No problem, happy to help.