Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear routerstats

ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Netgear routerstats

Hi
I am using a netgear DG834 V3 router and have been for a while now.
At present connected @ exchange @ 3552 kbps and getting 2860 kbps down.
Going into the router and looking at the stats I get the following ( all over the place readings)
downstream noise margins,has been like this for some time now.
Connection is stable -ish ,been connected for 220hrs at present,so just wondering if
there is something not right in side router.
Below are some readings I got for router few mins back.
The noise margin readings change as you watch,the highest two number
downstream figures I've seen is approx 14 db,apart from the many number one I've posted
below.
Just wonder if router knacked,but is working,maybe new one might go faster  Smiley
Hope these figures stay in place ok.
Barry.
ADSL Link         Downstream       Upstream
Connection Speed 3552 kbps         448 kbps
Line Attenuation  49 db                 13.5 db
Noise Margin       7 db                 17 db
.................................................................................
ADSL Link         Downstream         Upstream
Line Attenuation  49 db                 13.5 db
Noise Margin       0 db                 17 db
.........................................................................................               
ADSL Link           Downstream         Upstream
Line Attenuation  49 db                   13.5 db
Noise Margin   2147483645 db   17 db
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Netgear routerstats

It is difficult to know what a new router would achieve as your present one is apparently showing a noise margin varying between +7dB and negative. This may be a misreporting problem. If you plug it into the test socket behind the master socket faceplate are the results much different - these are my present stats with a DG834G v4 (different chipset)  - noise margin varies between 10dB during the day down to 6dB lowest at night
thejudge
Rising Star

I remember someone saying here that that model has problems with reporting noise margins. Doesn't mean there's a problem with the router itself, though.
James
Grafter

Yup, I believe that it's an issues specific to that model of router.
I'm not sure if it's been fixed with a firmware update, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to update the firmware (whilst making sure you save a copy of the existing firmware incase you encounter any difficulties).
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Sadly it didn't fix that specific problem on mine. I still get the occasional negative noise margin Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
It is difficult to know what a new router would achieve as your present one is apparently showing a noise margin varying between +7dB and negative. This may be a misreporting problem. If you plug it into the test socket behind the master socket faceplate are the results much different

Hi Oldjim.
Thanks for the reply,afraid no test socket here,think it's what BT call hard wired.
Tiny white box inside front door that outside wires come into and a small terminal block (chocolate block)
that joins wires that go to the boxes where phones plug in.
As other have suggested is probably the routers software causing the problem readings.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me,is appreciated very much.
Barry