cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear WNR1000v3 Router Flaky After Update

J_i_m
Grafter

Netgear WNR1000v3 Router Flaky After Update

I have a plusNET supplied Netgear WNR1000v3 router which decided to upgrade itself to V1.0.2.42_55.0.77 today.
It's now incredibly unreliable.  It constantly drops wireless and wired connections (wired connection will only come back up after a reboot), yet remains connected to the internet.
Is it possible to downgrade?  I'd stick DD-wrt on it if it was fully working for this model.  Sad
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Netgear WNR1000v3 Router Flaky After Update

Did you press the "Restore factory settings" button (on the back panel) for 10 seconds, after doing the update ?
Many routers exhibit unpredictable behavior after an update because the configuration memory has not been correctly initialized, so clearing the configuration back to factory default and then re-entering the settings from scratch, will often sort things out.
Wink
J_i_m
Grafter

First thing i tried.
It did improve the wireless slightly but the wired network stayed the same.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: J
I have a plusNET supplied Netgear WNR1000v3 router which decided to upgrade itself to V1.0.2.42_55.0.77 today.

If it "upgraded itself", I am wondering what is going to happen if you load a previous firmware release - is it going to "upgraded itself" again ?
You could get a previous version from here - http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16495
Make sure you press the "Restore factory settings" button for 10 seconds after doing the update.
J_i_m
Grafter

Thanks.  I'll try downgrading tonight.
You can switch the update check off, so if I can get it stable again I'll do that.
StuartUK35
Grafter

i'm working my way through different routers (buying/selling)...
next one am about to buy is the Cisco WRT610N (same as the E3000)......
I'll then ask if PN will want there happy shopper WNR1000 router back, or whether i can sell it for 25p, or 10p if i am lucky Smiley
Rubbish routers, firmware upgrades will probably still make it rubbish !
J_i_m
Grafter

The update did make the UI very 'pretty' in comparison to what it used to look like.
Shame it [Censored] everything up.
Edit: I didn't think that was technically a swear word.  Pretty sure you'd hear it on the Beeb any time of day...  Sorry  Tongue
obiwan

Quote from: J
Thanks.  I'll try downgrading tonight.
You can switch the update check off, so if I can get it stable again I'll do that.

Jim did you have any joy downgrading the firmware? I upgraded my WNR100v3 to the latest version which has created the flakey wireless issue. When I try and install an older version I get the warning about it being an old version, and if I continue anyway it stops installing. I tried the recovery disc but that says its not corrupt so also doesn't work. Any suggestions?
J_i_m
Grafter

The downgrade worked perfectly for me.
Did you get the european firmware?
obiwan

Worked fine this time thanks, I had it connected via a switch and although the upgrade worked fine over the switch the downgrade preferred a direct connection. Hopefully sorted now thanks.
Cameleon
Dabbler

Glad I've seen this, my wifi has been flakey since I updated on Saturday. Had to keep power cycling the router. Will try a downgrade as before the update it had always worked fine.
Why must I always be curious and upgrade  Embarrassed
Cameleon
Dabbler

Downgraded this morning using the link in this thread for the older firmware and all appears well. Will see tomorrow morning if its done the same as the new firmware and dropped the wireless over night.
Will PN be contacting Netgear about the issue? Or is it just a case of user beware when it comes to updated firmware?
mikeyriot
Grafter

I too have been having this problem, stared intermittently and from yesterday rendered the internet completely unusable for me. Just downgraded, I'm hoping thats fixed it, I didnt really like the new interface anyway  Tongue
edit
Already I can see a marked improvement  Smiley