cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear WNR1000v3 Rebooting every 5 minutes or so

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Netgear WNR1000v3 Rebooting every 5 minutes or so

Unfortunately I'm not at home where the router is.  I'm connecting in from work.  But I noticed the connection kept dropping so I brought up the router's web page and found that the log indicated it had rebooted.
It's now 9am and it's done it about 4 or 5 times since about 8:45.  Can anyone suggest what could cause a router to reboot itself?  It's not a power failure in the house because the PC I'm connecting to is exactly where I left it each time I log back in.
Since I'm not at home I can't test anything now, although I do have another router that I will swop out as soon as I get home.  But could anything external cause this?  i did notice a couple of lines about a Dos "FIN" attack in the logs before it rebooted last time, from different IP addresses, but I don't have that info because now it's rebooted I've lost the log.
Any suggestions?
Edit: A bit more information.  I have a static IP address, and I'm on FTTC so the BT modem is separate from the router.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
5 REPLIES 5
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Re: Netgear WNR1000v3 Rebooting every 5 minutes or so

Hmmph!  Forget this query!  I've just found out the cause.
My son's computer isn't connecting to the network so he's been following the network troubleshooter's suggestions...one of which is to switch the router off and on again.
Good job I didn't log a fault call.
A tortoise? What's that?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Even better job you didn't have a combined modem/router  Grin
Kevin
Rising Star

lorisarvendu, can I infer from your first post above, that you are using Remote Administration to log in to your home router from your work?Huh
If so, perhaps a read of this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128203.0.html and the link in reply 3 might be of interest....
Kevin.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Hi Kevin.  Yes I am.  I don't actually need to, since I can vpn to all of my home PCs (and also wake them all up by WOL),  so I guess I could disable it.  However it is configured to only be remotely managed by a single IP (the one on my work PC) so how could anyone else get in? Surely the router itself would block their IP?
A tortoise? What's that?
Kevin
Rising Star

I'm not an expert on router flaws, but it does seem that some are vulnerable to viruses that can take over the router via the remote management.
http://www.tntnetworx.net/netgear-wnr1000v3-backdoorbug/
May be fixed via a firmware update now....
Kevin.