cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear WNR1000v3 - New Firmware

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Netgear WNR1000v3 - New Firmware

Just if anyone's interested, I'm successfully running Firmware V1.0.2.54_60.0.82NA on this router.  No problems so far.
Though I have set up wireless, I haven't enabled it yet (will have to go home and physically press the button on the router).
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
20 REPLIES 20
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Netgear WNR1000v3 - New Firmware

Let us know if you notice any difference re the wireless performance too as we'd definitely be interested Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: lorisarvendu
Just if anyone's interested, I'm successfully running Firmware V1.0.2.54_60.0.82NA on this router.  No problems so far.

Doesn't the NA mean that's the firmware for North America, and you were supposed to use the non-NA one?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Yes ejs, it is the North American version, because I flashed the router with version 1.0.2.42_55.0.77 which was also NA.  The router told me there was a new update yesterday so I applied it.
My router does say it's region is now North America, but what practical difference does that make?  As far as I can see it shouldn't, any more than me taking my laptop to America and logging it onto a North American router.
As far as checking wireless performance I'm afraid I can't compare it to an earlier version as this is the first time I've used the built-in wifi (we have a homeplug extender).  But I've done a speed test and I'm getting 23 down and 15 up, which is better than my homeplugs.
In fact I'm writing this using the wifi. I'm about 15ft away from the router vertically (I'm upstairs).
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

My router does say it's region is now North America, but what practical difference does that make?

Lack of wireless channels 12 and 13?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Oo yes!  No channel 12 or 13. Well I never knew that!
Mind you, we don't use either of those anyway, and we're thinking of a Kindle for Xmas and I understand they don't go higher than 11.
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Never done it myself. but understand that some router  users have switched to different firmware to gain access to higher output wifi signals that were not available in UK due to legislation.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

... thinking of a Kindle for Xmas and I understand they don't go higher than 11.

That's certainly the case with mine. I don't know about the latest ones.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Quote from: vultura
Never done it myself. but understand that some router  users have switched to different firmware to gain access to higher output wifi signals that were not available in UK due to legislation.

Now that is interesting.  The reason I never used the Netgear's wifi is that the router is in the extension on the other side of an old outside wall (and therefore double-skinned).  When we sat in the living room the signal was too weak, so we invested in a Homeplug extender instead.  I shall have to try the wifi again in the living room and see if it's any stronger.  If so, then it's the same router, so it can only be down to firmware.  Or I could flash it back to a previous UK version and see if the wifi is any different.
Sadly i can't flash it back to the original PN firmware as I don't have a copy of the CHK file (and I don't know any way of getting hold of one).
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Looks like the non-North American firmware version WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.54_60.0.82  is now available for this router:
http://support.netgear.com/product/WNR1000v3
I shall try it tonight.
A tortoise? What's that?
kmilburn
Grafter

I've finally got around to upgrading to this version,  and so far,  things look good.  Nice to see Netgear have finally updated the 90's era page style,  but they still need to get somebody in that knows CSS!
The only issue I encountered was to do with the port forwarding page,  where the new interface doesn't show the rules created under the old one.
Unless you delete the rules before upgrading,  you'll have to 'revert to factory defaults',  which may not be a bad idea anyway as other settings may misbehave between versions!
Ultimately,  being able to do do port forwarding with mapped ports    (e.g.  2222 externally to 22 on the server) makes it  worthwhile.  Cheesy
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Well I've been running this firmware since my last post on Nov 27th, and it's been pretty rock-solid.  The ability to map different ports isn't something I would normally use, but I guess I could experiment a bit.
The new interface is ok, but aesthetically I kind of prefer the old bright orangey yellow Netgear colours.  More cheerful!
One thing I really don't like is the opening page, which clearly shows the wireless SID and password plain as day.  Ok so the router's web page is secure, but what if someone's looking over your shoulder?
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
kmilburn
Grafter

The advantage of port mapping is that you can open common ports on your server (like SSH); while using a non-standard port to the outside world you don't get the usual flood of systems intrusion attempts.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Hi  kmilburn
Sorry, didn't make myself clear.  Yes I use port forwarding all the while, but I've only ever been able to map external ports to the same internal ports (e.g. 5936 to 5936 for VNC).  I've never had the ability to map say external port 29 to internal port 27.
Come to think of it I do have a use for that.  I have 3 linux servers running so to open SSH terminals I've had to run them all on non-standard ports.  I could just run each one on the standard SSH port (22) and use port forwarding to retain my 3 external ports. In fact it might also stop the continual hammering I get to the standard 25565 Minecraft server port.  I shall try this immediately!
A tortoise? What's that?
patchy

Must have old kit. Anyways this thread prompted me to check and upgrade my "Netgear WNR1000v2" firmware to the latest version... Thanks
Ive suffered from the Wireless signal dropping every so often, and since getting a smart TV with Wireless, ive guessed that this may be a problem with the Wireless on the Router, rather than my PC kit.  Hopefully this will improve it....