cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear WNR1000v3 - Internet IP address problem

grahamt
Rising Star

Netgear WNR1000v3 - Internet IP address problem

Has anyone else seen this on a Netgear WNR1000v3? Or can anyone tell me how I might fix the problem?
In the Internet setup screen in recent firmware versions (V1.0.2.62_60.0.86 and ...87 and ...93) there's a setting to choose a dynamic or a static IP address. For most people, including me, the correct setting is "Get Dynamically from ISP". But the Netgear refuses to stick with that setting. If I choose it and say 'Apply', after the configuration is updated (and a new IP address fetched) it comes back with "Use Static IP Address" selected, and the four boxes for the static address populated with [blank] . unde (short for 'undefined') . unde . unde
This has been annoying for a while, but it's been harmless because, despite what the screen says, the dynamic address has been correctly chosen and all's well. But today things didn't work out like that. I'd been using my spare router (a ZyXEL) to test for a hardware fault with a potential line problem (I'm pretty sure it is indeed a line problem, but that's another story) and today I switched back to the Netgear. After switching on and getting all the right status lights I couldn't connect to the internet. The most useful error message I could get was 'Invalid static IP address.
To cut a long story short, I found that if I changed the firmware (I firstly downgraded from 93 to 86, then later upgraded to 87), I can connect to the internet and all's well, despite the wrong setting being shown on the Internet setup screen. But if I try to select "Get Dynamically from ISP" and then Apply, when the configuration is updated I can no longer connect. I swear this didn't use to happen when I tried this, which I did from time to time, with all these firmware versions.
So, has anyone else seen this? Maybe not, as the firmware versions I've got now aren't the one that was originally supplied with the router in 2011. They are though, as far as I can tell, the correct versions - i.e. 'Everywhere outside North America' in the terminology of the Netgear download site.
Graham
3 REPLIES 3
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Netgear WNR1000v3 - Internet IP address problem

Have you tried doing a factory reset (holding down the reset button on the back of the router) after updating the firmware?
Sometimes when you upgrade firmware versions, there are issues with some settings used in previous firmwares.
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks, AndyH - that sounds like good advice.
Sorry for the delay in replying. I was away for part of the time and I was also waiting for Openreach to come and look at my line, and I didn't want to touch the router before the engineer had been. He came yesterday and, with luck, has fixed the problem with the line. I'll wait a few days for the new connection to settle down and will then try a factory reset. (Reminder to self: check user manual for default IP address and password so I can get back in afterwards to set it up again.)
grahamt
Rising Star

I've just completed inputting my router settings after a factory reset (and an upgrade back to the latest firmware). It's a bit of a pain waiting for the router to update its settings, and sometimes rebooting in the process, after clicking 'Apply' on each individual screen. However, it seems to have worked a treat. It now correctly shows that it's getting the WAN IP address dynamically from the ISP. Also, the interface has improved in various places, which confirms that my older settings were previously interfering with new firmware.
Thanks once again, AndyH, for the suggestion.