cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear WN1000RP WiFi Booster

pfswan

Netgear WN1000RP WiFi Booster

HELP!
Bought one of these from PC World but am stuck. Sets up fine and finds my router, but when I input my router key as per instructions I get an 'invalid password' message and am unable to connect it to my wifi network.
Any advice hugely appreciated...
10 REPLIES
All4One
Grafter

Re: Netgear WN1000RP WiFi Booster

Asked PC World at all for any advice? Never personally used wifi boosters and avoid wifi for computers so can't provide any guidance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 24

I've used Netgear wireless range extenders without problems.  So you are probably inputting the wrong key.  Remember that the key is case-sensitive.  It is usually written on the router (if you have not changed it).
pfswan

No, it's definitely the right key.
I'm fairly tech-savvy and have had a rummage around in the router settings to see if there's any reason why the booster won't connect to it. Can't see anything though.
Utterly stumped.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 24

Possibly if you have used mac address filtering you might have blocked the connection.  Or perhaps it's faulty, can you try it with a friend's router?
LEEEVANS69
Dabbler

Bought the same today and having the same problem.Is on the Home Network fine, but can anything connect? can it buggery!!!!
LEEEVANS69
Dabbler

Mines connected had to reset the WN1000RP several times then use the genie guide to set it up.
gazza316

I'm having the same problem, it doesn't like the router password once the network has _ext.
Has anyone got the solution?
Cheers
Gazza
gazza316

bump
mrgrumble

Did anyone have any joy installing the Netgear booster? I'm having exactly the same problems!
firefly12346

I've found that the range from my Plusnet Technicolor router is really appalling. I'm in a small 2-bedroom flat and never get more than two or three bars out of five for my wifi signal if I'm not in the same room as the router  Sad I downloaded a wifi channel identifier program and switched to the quietest channel (there weren't many quiet channels - I'm in London...) but this didn't help.
I got a Netgear WN1000RP wifi booster and had the issue with the password too. I think the problem with not accepting the password occurs when you have the wireless booster just on the borderline of the router's range. My password wasn't being accepted, so I moved the wireless booster closer to the router, and then it worked (I didn't even need the password, I just pushed the button on my router and the two connected).
I've still not managed to get things working though! My laptop can connect to the _EXT network created by the wifi booster, but only with "limited access" - i.e. no internet  Cry
Can anyone help?