cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear N300 problems

dunfearn

Netgear N300 problems

I've just bought a NETGEAR N300 wireless router (DGN2200) to replace my non wireless NETGEAR DG834 v4 which has worked almost perfectly for ages.
My problem is that the new router 'drops out' repeatedly - my longest time connected via plusnet has been about 5 minutes.
I am not an expert, and would normally think it was an error on my part. However the fact that I can connect at all (if only briefly) makes me wonder if the new router is faulty.
Are there any known connection issues surrounding this router, or alternatively are there any setting tweaks that I could try before I have to take it back.
I have set it up via a new Samsung laptop (i5, fully updated Windows 7, Firefox browser (V5.0), with simplest possible setup ie Laptop - Modem/router - 1st Phone socket, and used the supplied phone/ADSL filter and cables, and have disconnected my old router from the 2nd phone socket when setting up the new router..
The Wireless function works fine, it is the ADSL/internet connection that always drops out.
4 REPLIES 4
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Netgear N300 problems

Did you buy this router brand new and Is It updated with the latest firmware? I use this router and have no problems with this router, Here Is the latest firmware for It.  http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18990/~/dgn2200%2Fdgn2200b-firmware-version-1.0.0...
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's also worth checking the idle timeout setting on the router and make sure it's set to 0 Smiley
dunfearn

OOPS!
As a last resort, having tried everything else (swapping cables, filters etc), I plugged into a different phone socket. The router worked fine!. It must be the phone socket.
Yes, I bought it new, and updated the firmware.
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Sounds good as long as Its not your Master Socket!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.