cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DGND3700v2

douglasG
Dabbler

Netgear DGND3700v2

No 2 daughter has just bought me a Netgear DGND3700v2, and i've got it up and running quite nicely. Beats the socks of the Technicolour unit's wireless range and power that PN supplied when I signed up.
Has any member got any tips for configuring this beast?
Although the router set itself totally automatically, I've got a nagging suspicion that with a bit of expert "tweaking" it is capable of a lot more.
All advice and config details for the 3700v2 would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Netgear DGND3700v2

You must be lucky. The range on my DGND3700v2 was absolute crap. It would barely reach upstairs.
douglasG
Dabbler

Hi Gigabit,
Didn't you buy your router from Scan, and was it not a V1 version they supplied? Have you not gone back and got them to swap it for a V2?
If it wasn't you, then please accept my apologies.
I know there were reliability and WiFi issues with DGND 3700 v1 units that was accredited to sub standard chips, but I believe that this problem has been solved in the V2 units.
Mind you not ALL v1 units were faulty. However, this unit performs very well compared to the Thompson router on 2.4Ghz ( I had trouble getting a good signal in the far front bedroom), I now get a full set of signal strength bars.  The 5GHz signal isn't far behind on one bar less, so I'm pretty happy with the router so far as I now have the ability to go fibre, and with IPv6 implemented, I also have a degree of future proofing.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Yes it was me :). I managed to pickup a v2 from PC World and it was just as bad as the v1. My NETGEAR DGN2000 from 2008 has better coverage than the DGND3700v2 in my case.
Good luck :).
douglasG
Dabbler

Quote from: Gigabit
Yes it was me :). I managed to pickup a v2 from PC World and it was just as bad as the v1. My NETGEAR DGN2000 from 2008 has better coverage than the DGND3700v2 in my case.
Good luck :).

Sorry to hear you still had problems with the replacement. Funnily enough, I too have a 2008 DGN2000 and it is still in use today. Never had a problem with it. That's why I was keen on getting my hands on a DGND3700v2. Let's hope my luck holds out. I've turned on the traffic meter and it appears to be doing its job. I've even set up the warning for my allowance with PN so that I know when i'm getting close to the end of my limit. I know that PN do this anyway, but it's a lot more convenient using the Netgear. Like I said, if it wasn't for the desire for a bit of future proofing, I would have stuck with my old DGN2000. Finally I got around to automating the switch off of the WiFi transmitters using the sheduling facility that's available on board DGND3700v2's Genie. Saves me having to switch off manually holding the switch for over 2 seconds. So far I'm happy with it. Time will tell if it's been a good buy Apparently there's a beta update to the software so I'm registering for the test program. Will post my findings in due course.