Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DGFV338 connection help

joncooper
Grafter

Netgear DGFV338 connection help

Hi,
I currently have an old Sky DG834GT router that I have been using for years with no problems
I am trying to change to a Netgear DGFV338 (for the additional 4x LAN ports)
the Sky box is connected now and works fine,
but if I disconnect and use all the same (I think) details the Netgear cant connect
wondering if anyone has some insight into how to get the Netgear router online - thanks
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Netgear DGFV338 connection help

I assume its an ADSL ( as opposed to Fibre ) connection as you're using a DG834GT. In which case from what I can see from the Netgear  manual it should work fine. I would suggest configuring the ADSL connection manually ( page 2-6 ) and use the following settings:-
Does Your Internet Connection require a Login? Yes
Login - <username>@plusdsl.net ( see here for info on settings http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml )
Password - your password
ISP Type information - PPPoA
Account Name - not sure here ( can't see what its used for , anything should do )
Domain Name - leave blank
Idle Timeout:-  Keep Connected
Enter your Internet (IP) Address - Get dynamically from ISP
Select your Domain Name Servers (DNS) - Get Automatically from ISP
That should be it, let us know how that goes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joncooper
Grafter

thanks, that's pretty much what I thought and how I had it set up
only thing I wasn't sure of was a choice between NAT and classical routing (on another page)
but it seems NAT is what it should be, so I've left that alone
I have noticed a bit in the manual that says it makes a big difference what order things are connected in
can't see why that would be true, and see no way to switch the modem on before the router in a combined box
but willing to try I guess
joncooper
Grafter

also, you said "I assume its an ADSL ( as opposed to Fibre ) connection as you're using a DG834GT."
why would you assume that? It is currently ADSL but I am trying to sort out my internal LAN
prior to getting fibre, I was under the impression that the DG834GT would work with either
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I was under the impression that the DG834GT would work with either

It won't I'm afraid. The WAN functionality on the DG834GT is ADSL only. For Fibre you need an Ethernet WAN port to connect to the BT supplied modem.
The DGFV338 will work with Fibre since it has an Ethernet WAN port as well as an ADSL WAN port.
Ahh!, that's just made me wonder , do you need somehow to tell it which WAN port to use ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joncooper
Grafter

sorry, I meant the other one, I am trying to replace the DG834GT with the DGFV338
yes, you do have to tell it which WAN to use, as far as I know I have
I think I'm going to give up for now, been about 1/2 a day too long already
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'll download the manual again now I'm home and see if I can spot anything else...
A quick question before I do that, what's the status of the DSL light on the DGFV338 when you connect it ?
and have you used the RJ 11 lead that was supplied with it, rather than the DG834GT one ? I've sometimes seen routers use a different pair on the connector, although most routers will autodetect.
yes, you do have to tell it which WAN to use, as far as I know I have

Yes, looking at the manual again, it seems to have 2 sets of connection settings , one for ADSL WAN and one for Ethernet WAN.
Have you tried the 'auto detect' from the ADSL ?
Have you checked the Advanced ADSL settings ( Figure 2-6 ), they should be VC-BASED multiplexing and VPI=0 VCI=38 ?

joncooper
Grafter

I think all those settings are what I have
it didn't come with a RJ11 lead so I'm just using what I have here
when first booted it does all it's supposed to, and the DSL light comes on briefly
but itsoon goes out and the diagnostics claim 'not connected yet' etc
I want a wired LAN set up for when fibre finally becomes available here (6-8weeks ish)
I think I might start investigating switches etc, maybe there is a better way to do this anyway
(since the modem part will be unused then)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Actually the dgfv338 may be a bit limiting for fibre, its throughput is only 50mbps wan>lan
It might be worth checking f/w version for the adsl  problem though.

paragoncs
Dabbler

I've had two clients with Netgear dgfv338 both lose connectivity with ADSL port after their lines had been upgraded to ADSL 2.
In both cases Netgear support admitted the fault (upgraded firmware hadn't fixed the issues with ADSL 2 lines) and offered a free DM111 modem to use with the dgfv338 WAN port rather than using the built in ADSL modem.
You may find it will never make a connection with the internal ADSL modem if you are on ADSL 2.
After you change to fibre and use its WAN port instead you may then find its ok.
joncooper
Grafter

Thanks guys very helpful, much appreciated Smiley