cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G

Moominfish
Grafter

Netgear DG834G

Does the downstream connection speed in a router dynamically adjust itself or is a reboot ALWAYS needed? Because I'm sick of being told NOT to reboot my router in case it causes instability, but if it is the case that the downstream connection speed only adjusts upon a reboot of the router it has to be done doesnn't it?
Say for example you've got a downstream connection speed of 4960 kbps which fits within the range 4544-5219 causing an IP profile of 4000 kbps, if your downstream connection speed is permanently on 4960 kbps in your router stats (because you shouldn't reboot) but your BT IP profile goes up to 7150 which would mean your downstream connection speed should be showing as 8128 kbps in the router stats, you would never get the full 7150 line speed if your router was only showing a downstream connection speed of 4960 kbps would you? Or doesn't it even matter what your router shows, and if not why not?
This is all confusing as I'd been led to believe to get the downstream connection speed to increase then a reboot of the router was a necessity yet keep being told DON'T reboot your router.
I'm asking because I was connected for over 42 hours yet had no increase in sync speed so god forbid I did the unthinkable and rebooted my router because the bloody stupid snr kept going up and down (lowest 13.2db) then this morning 14.9db, how can that automatically go up and down but the downstream connection speed requires a reboot to go up (or down in some cases) I look forward to some knowledgeable persons response.
Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Netgear DG834G

Your connection speed will only change if the router resyncs with the exchange. This doesn't require a router reboot just a resync. One way is to disconnect from the telephone wire and reconnect but don't do it more than once a day if possible
The IP profile is dynamic and depends on your sync speed so once it changes then only a change in sync speed will affect it.
Downstream noise margin is dynamic in that the router continuously monitors it. It will vary by a small amount - this is quite normal
Moominfish
Grafter

So basically just to make sure I've understood you :), the connection speed say if it's 4960 kbps and I disconnect from the telephone wire and reconnect it could up the connection speed to let's say 5628 kbps for the sake of argument, but what's intriguing me is when does an IP profile (The B.T one) go up and what criteria would you need to meet for it to go up to the maximum available?
Oh and just for the record I got so fed up of waiting for the downstream connection rate to go up by itself that I upgraded the firmware to the DGTeam firmware and manually adjusted my sync speed which now shows the below,

I wouldn't mind so much but when I moved to this house last June I had a brand new phone line put in at a cost of £122! Because their wasn't one here already and it should have no issues whatsoever, I mean B.T have even been out and checked it before I was with Plusnet and they didn't find any problems, the only problem that does happen is in the early hours of the morning generally around 3am (if i'm up) if I want to use the phone to phone my dad when he's at work on nights (he works with computers in an office doing 12 hours shifts!)  their is no dial tone, I've no idea if this is a normal everyday B.T thing so they can update their records or what? But it's alway's happened when I've wanted to ring him when he's at work in the early hours, I mean it's not alway's at 3am it's around that time give or take half hour each way and it can take up to 45 minutes or thereabouts to come back! It doesn't affect the internet though as that still works.
P.S) I know you'll think I'm probably mad but to obtain that 9.6 db noise margin in the screenshot you can see I went to the setting Advanced ADSL Settings in the DGTeam Firmware and where it says snr percentage I moved the slider ALL the way to 1% and my connection is still super stable with no drop in connection, but that's the only way I could get the sync speed to go up to it's current 6528 kbps
scootie
Grafter

all the info you need on ip profiles is found <a href="http://http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm">here</a> . From what ive seen of your posts since ive been back on the forum you seem intrested in how adsl works, so i would suggest having a good read kitz site. i belive kitz is a pug member
edit. might help if i put the link in  Roll_eyes just woke up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest you have a read here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/index.htm which will explain the basics.
Your default noise margin was presumably 15dB due to line instability problems or too high an error rate.
You should not lose the dial tone at any time. The fact that you do, but only at around 3.00am indicates a problem. This should be reported to your voice line supplier without mentioning broadband.
Before doing that - have you checked using the test socket and is there any noise on the line - dial 17070 option 2 quiet line test
Moominfish
Grafter

Thx for the link AsboDog,
And Jim yes it was around 15db, in fact it was 14.9db, I've reported that losing dial tone issue to B.T twice now and twice they've checked and said they found no problem and I had to fight them to get them to drop the ludicrously high charges of £125 a time I believe it was! They did drop the charges but still insisted their isn't a problem with my line.
I hadn't checked the test socket for noise on the line but I've just done that now and it's completely silent!! Apart from the woman repeating 'Quiet line test' every 10 seconds or so...... which was the only noise I could pick up.
Moominfish
Grafter

Well I've spoken to B.T and posted this on their forum explaining exactly what's going on, so I've no idea what they will do if anything! They certainly did nothing in October or December last year as the same is still happening now but only at the times mentioned!
Hi,
I've reported a fault with B.T twice now, and theirs no point me adding a note on the bloody stupid 'add note' section in the faults section in my account as you can't even add on any more than 20 words! If that!
This is what I'm experiencing which I wanted to add onto a note but can't because of the stupid character limit of 140 characters max, and I refuse to add a tiny bit of information when I need to say everything I'm about to post below.
I reported this same fault (NO DIAL TONE)  in October last year and also in December of last year, the fault is if I'm up in the early hours of the morning and I wish to make a phone call say around 3am time, sometimes I don't know all the times it happens but I do know it occurs in the early hours of the morning, the fault being I don't have a dial tone! For roughly 45 minutes to an hour each time (this happens every day presumably) as everytime I've been up at that time and wanted to make a phone call I can't.
Now for the record I have broadband on the line (not with B.T) and that works fine even if their is no dial tone on the line, so I plugged my phone into the master socket and still had no dial tone, I then plugged my phone into the test socket BEHIND the master socket and still have no dial tone when this error occurs, now I've been informed that I should NEVER lose the dial tone no matter what, not even if B.T are updating their records in the early hours of the morning because even that shouldn't result in me having no dial tone.
Please note this fault does not happen at any other time than in the early hours of the morning so it will no doubt be very hard to pinpoint as I have a dial tone throughout the day.
Also please note this was a brand new installation when I moved into my current address because their was no phone line in the property at all.
Please advise as to what could be causing this problem as it's clearly a problem at the exchange and I have verified this by plugging the phone into the test socket (when the fault occurs) .
Now that's what I wanted to tell the engineer via a note but can't.
Does anyone else experience this fault ever where their isn't a dial tone or know why it happens?
Cheers
PS) I've rang 17070 and selected option 2 'quiet line test' and it's completely silent apart from the woman every 10 seconds or so repeating 'Quiet line test' so their is no noise on my line at all.