cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G as repeater for Technicolor TG582n

edgee

Netgear DG834G as repeater for Technicolor TG582n

Hi,
First post here. I've been trawling the net for two days about this to no avail. Can anyone shed any light on whether (and how) I can do this at all?
Option 1: Technicolor TG582n (from Plusnet) connected to broadband, Netgear DG834G as wireless repeater
Option 2: Netgear DG834G connected to the broadband, Technicolor TG582n (from Plusnet) as wireless repeater
In either instance, I don't want to have a cable between the two - is it possible?
Does anyone have any procedures I can follow for this?
Thank you!!!
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Netgear DG834G as repeater for Technicolor TG582n

I don't think either option is possible, you could try the wireless distribution system page of the DG834G anyway if your model and firmware version has that page (for the v3, I think WDS was added in a later firmware version).
A wireless repeater is not a particularly good system anyway, if the repeater has to operate on the same channel as the main access point, then it ends up sharing the same bandwidth, so you end up with half the speed. In this particular case, neither router has particularly good wireless, and mixing 11n and 11g would have significant additional overheads, further reducing the speed.
You probably will have to consider using powerline adapters instead of a cable between the routers, and then configuring one of the routers as a separate access point, operating on a different channel to the main one. Or alternatively just replace them both with a modem/router with better wireless.
edgee

Thank you! I thought it was a bit of a big ask.
I don't think a stronger wireless is going to be an option, this is to get wireless in the garden and, due to extension on extension, it will have to get through 3 "outside" walls to get there, which is why I was planning on putting the "repeater" effectively in the back window in order to get signal as far into the garden as possible.
I was going to put it as a separate SSID and/or channel anyway so maybe the powerline adapters are the idea I want to persue.. although I was hoping to do it without any extra expense.
I've just realised, I also have an BT HomeHub 2 which I could use in this setup... does that help the cause at all? Smiley
stallan
Grafter

It would be better "connecting" the two routers via Homeplugs. I think if you opt for WDS (and it might not work anyway) the wireless throughput gets halved.
This might be of interest http://www.kerrins.co.uk/blog/2008/08/netgear-dg834g-and-wireless-repeating/
Personally I have a Billion router connected to a homeplug and the phone line at the front of the house, and an cable wireless router with homeplug in the upstairs office at the back of the house. Wireless is the same SSID but the channels are different. Works well and has done for the past 5+ years. Got another homeplug in the lounge with a YouView box attached.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Since I moved to fibre I reused my DG834G in exactly this fashion.  It now sits in my son's room providing him with a 4-port switch for all his networked items, and a WAP for when his mates come round with their laptops.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.