cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834 v2 router upgrade for ADSL2+

prynne

Netgear DG834 v2 router upgrade for ADSL2+

Hello,
Can anyone please tell me what firmware upgrade I need for my Netgear DG834 v2 router to be compatible with ADSL2+ ?
5 REPLIES 5
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Netgear DG834 v2 router upgrade for ADSL2+

The latest firmware is on the Netgear site here.
It's a pretty old router nowadays, and may not be the best for ADSL2+. May be time to look for something a bit more up-to-date.
jack21
Grafter

I popped the latest Netgear firmware on a DG834G V2 I have spare......it didn't have ADSL2/ADSL2+
You might try the most recent DGTeam firmware if you can locate it......I have seen it on a mirror site recently.
I wanted to try a V2 as a neighbour has one on ADSL1  and the sync rate is especially good for this area.....however it performed only averagely for me.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think there's anything worth having in the DGTeam firmware for the v1-v3. The last firmware for the v1 and v2 is 3.01.29.
These are my v3's stats for a long line with dreadful star wiring on ADSL2:
[tt]US Connection Rate:    882    DS Connection Rate:    3998
DS Line Attenuation:    58.4    DS Margin:              5.8
US Line Attenuation:    36.8    US Margin:              4.9[/tt]
There are a few low-level tweaks (not in the DGTeam firmware but can be done via debug-mode telnet) for the v3 which probably would also work for the v2, for higher precision stats and average rather than minimum margin reporting. I stopped using the tweak that increases the noise margin, because it decreases the speed as expected but didn't make things any more stable (can't fix old bad star wiring with modem tweaks).
These routers are so old now it's surprising any of them still work at all. I don't know how well it might work on a shorter line and higher ADSL2+ speeds.
jack21
Grafter

I've had a reassess about what happened when I tried a V2 on my ADSL2 line:  it synced at 10-15% lower than my DG834GT which I've set to run ADSL2 (not 2+ as I find that ADSL2+ is 10-15% slower than ADSL2). My neighbour, who only has an ADSL1 provision at present, achieved a 10% higher sync rate with his V2 than I get with ADSL2, but around the same as I get if I select ADSL1 on a DG834GT. Our attenuations are much the same as each other.
I had reflashed the V2 with the most recent Netgear firmware 3.01.38 (neighbour's was 2.x) and the management GUI showed no option to set ADSL mode.....so I assumed there was no ADSL2+
In retrospect, I think the results indicated that the V2 was running on ADSL2+ .......this is in line with someone who said their Netgear box for the V2 said it was 'upgradeable to ADSL2+'.
And there are other routers that don't let you choose between ADSL modes, but themselves 'pick' the best mode as they see it.....not necessarily the best mode in practice.
So I suggest that you update your V2 to f/w 3.01.38 and providing your line will deliver ADSL2+, give it a try.....nothing to lose. I'll not be re-doing the test myself as I've got the V2 all packaged/sealed ready for if/when it sells (currently on eBay).
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Oops, 3.01.38 is indeed the most recent version.
The web interface is quite limited, more details and settings are possible via telnet.