Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear 150 ok for gaming?

mattdanielc
Grafter

Netgear 150 ok for gaming?

Hi guys
I'm moving to fibre next week so plus net sent me my new router. On the back of the box it says I have the 'simple sharing' router, whereas the other 2 models are (n300 and n600) are suitable for gaming. Mine has a tick only against surfing and wireless printing.
I've gone for fibre extra rather than fibre value...purely because I do play games. Will this new router be ok do you think?
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Netgear 150 ok for gaming?

it's fine with my ps3 using a wired connection Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mattdanielc
Grafter

Thanks mate.
I mean it's got to be better than my non fibre connection at the mo!
I've also noticed that it doesn't have an antenna...is it missing it?
It's also missing the smart wizard installation cd but I can live without that Smiley
theberrys
Grafter

The antenna is built in to the router.  A lot of routers manufacturers have started to do this Smiley  Also, because Plusnet have auto configuration set up, it does not need the configuration CD, just plug the router in, wait 15 minutes and then you should be online.  To check and see if automatic router setup is enabled, login to the member centre and go here.  It is all in the little "getting started" instruction book that came with the router Cheesy
I also got this router on Friday and I am also getting fibre next week.  Cool
mattdanielc
Grafter

Thanks for the help Greg.
I was once told that you shouldn't put your router near a sky box as the sky box can cause interference... is this still the case with fibre?
Thanks Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The interference from Sky boxes is usually on the phone line directly, so best bet is to make sure that's double filtered (double filtering is fine provided it's only ever done using phones, if you double filter the broadband side it'll stop the broadband from working). I've not heard any stories of it causing interference any other way, if it is chances are something is faulty on it (usually the PSU if it is causing those kind of problems as those are caused by electrical items emitting RF interference).
If there are any issues setting up please let us know, though it should go as Greg says - just plug it in and give it a few minutes Smiley
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Matt
Thanks for the info. 
Yep all good - the engineer came round a couple of hours back.  I'm now on 34mb/s as opposed to 8 this morning Smiley
Hopefully it will edge even closer to 40 after a while but happy with 34