cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix turned off

John_Salmon
Hooked

Netflix turned off

Hi All. I was at my daughters new house this morning trying in vain to get Netflix working. Did many things including at one point, turning off her firewall to allow full throughput on the router - no joy. I was in contact with Netflix who ran diagnostics at their end and had no issues. I eventually gave up and came home. Out of curiosity I tried to connect to Netflix on my TV as I am also a PlusNet customer and low and behold, my Netflix will not work at my house either. My question is; why have PlusNet turned off the streaming service for Netflix at their end????

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Netflix turned off

@John_Salmon 

I streamed Netfix for about 5 hours last evening. Are you on ADSL or fibre? Are you connecting over wireless? What testing have you done, for example, have you done a speed test?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

John_Salmon
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1 - Yes I have performed a speed test on the line which is ADSL and receiving 16.6Mb/s down the line. I can stream IPlayer and Youtube content easily. The strangest thing is that it does not work on 2 different smart TVs in 2 different locations now within my area. Something has been done by PlusNet to stop this streaming service.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi John_Salmon
Have you tried to watch netflix on the netflix app or a browser rather than a TV?
Is the netflix issue an inability to login to netflix or can a program be selected but does not play?
Netflix have a speed test fast.com
Can you try a fast.com speed test?
https://fast.com/en/gb/
Regards
Richard
Baldrick1

@John_Salmon 

I find your theory hard to believe. Do you know of any-one else in your area having problems? Maybe it's a problem with your Netflix account despite  the assurances that you have received?

Moderator and Customer

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

I see that netflix have a trouble shooting page:
https://help.netflix.com/en/troubleshooting
Please advise the outcome of the netflix trouble shooting process.
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@John_Salmon 

Are you connecting the TV to router by wire or wifi? I have had issues with Netflix (but not iPlayer or Amazon Prime) when using wifi with my Samsung TV. I now have the Tv on a wired connnection with no problems. I have also seen similar reports both on these forums and elsewhere.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I used to have a similar problem on Amazon Prime, the cause turned out to be not shutting the app down properly. I have an Android TV, so not sure if that is different. Can you clear the cache on your telly, or is it just a Netflix button?

John_Salmon
Hooked

Have been through the troubleshooting steps to no avail. all reports keep bouncing back with the conclusion that there is an ISP fault. I have connected to Netflix on my PC and Laptop successfully. I have tried WiFi and LAN cable (wired) to the Smart TV, again, without success. The strangest thing regarding this issue is that Netflix worked on the said TVs 2 weeks ago but started to buffer quite a lot even though there was a steady internet and WiFi signal.?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@John_Salmon If you can get Netflix on the laptop and desktop, the problem must be the TV - the signal comes down the same wire for all three.

John
Baldrick1

@John_Salmon 

So if it works on your PC it's clearly not a Plusnet account problem. Are the TVs the same make and model? Are you both using the same hub model? Has the TVs' firmare been recently updated?

Moderator and Customer

jgb
Champion

@John_Salmon Have you checked the TV manufacturer's website to see if they have recently upgraded the Netfix app or if they have decided not to do so for older TVs etc and so effectively remove the facility from them?

Such things happen with all apps. I know that Samsung did such a thing about a year ago which affected TVs and other kit that was about seven years old or so. Samsung also messed up an app upgrade last year that effectively stopped iPlayer working until they sorted things out about three weeks later. I also know that Sony have done similar with the iPlayer app, and so it is not unheard of.

Baldrick1

@jgb 

I had this problem with my Samsung TV several years ago when the Amazon app was updated. In the end I got a Fire TV which with its additional memory and faster processor works far better with all Smart TV apps than the original TV ever did.

Moderator and Customer

John_Salmon
Hooked

Hi All - I have now identified the issue with Netflix on my daughters TV. I managed to use a different make of STV and Netfix worked fine on WiFi and wired. Having been in contact with the original TV manufacturers, I have found out that they do not support the particular TV with software upgrades any longer. STV buyers beware however, the TV is only 5years old and was sold with the advertised software package. Make sure any STV's that are purchased are going to keep receiving after sales upgrades. 

May I also offer my apologies to PlusNet for accusing them of 'turning something off at their end'. in defence I was getting to my wits end having tried so many different options.

jgb
Champion

Seems to a common issue - planned obsolescence on the part of the manufacturers. They seem to think you will go out and buy another of their TVs!

When the BBC / Samsung messed up the iplayer app upgrade about 12 months ago, I bought a NowTV stick as a backup so that I would have access to iPlayer (which the BBC / Samsung sorted with another update a few weeks later) and to all the apps via that if the TV based apps did not work. Also, it means I can access some Sky dramas etc if there is a box set I particularly want to see without subscription to Sky. The stick was a lot cheaper than another TV and can aslo be used in another non-smart TV in the house.