Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix Streaming

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Netflix Streaming

Just wondered if anyone's Netflix streaming has dropped from 1080 Super HD to 1080 the past couple of days? Still getting 17M down and 1M up. Not sure if it's my Plusnet connection, Netflix or my BD player.
8 REPLIES 8
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Netflix Streaming

Hi woodm,
Sorry to hear that you're seeing an issue with the reported quality on your Netflix stream, is this still ongoing?
Also, has there been any noticeable difference in the quality of the streaming video when the reported quality changes?
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Hi Adam, Thanks for the reply.
Basically mid last weekish I noticed my Netflix picture quality wasn't quite as bright and vibrant as it had been (I had been pretty impressed with it on their HD content) and when I checked my BD player's reported streaming rate for Netflix it had gone down from '1080 Super HD' to '1080' I'm only guessing but maybe that difference is 1080p and 1080i? Anyhow I spoke to Netflix Support on their chat thingy and after some troubleshooting they fingered my broadband connection so I called PlusNet Support who said that the 'SNR' was very low on my line so they would reset it. So they did that but when my connection came back I was still only hitting '1080' on Netflix and then I ran into a problem with the uncapping of my upstream http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133271.0.html (ongoing at the moment) Haven't really got to the bottom of the Netflix issue. Did post on Sony's support forum as I noticed they had updated the Netflix app on my BD player last week so wondered if this might have a bearing. Haven't heard anything back from them though. My Plusnet downstream has always hovered around the 17M mark so in my limited understanding of things I don't think much has changed there. So in summary don't really know....
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again woodm,
Thanks for getting back to me on this one, it definitely sounds intriguing to say the least.
It's been some time since I used the Netflix service but does this quality measure show in the browser application? If this does, do you see any issues with only showing at 1080 HD?
The only reason I ask is that I'm wondering if there has been something changed with regards to the app on the Bluray player where you mentioned this was updated. You still seem to be able to stream relatively well along with no marked drop in speed.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

It's the BD player that is reporting the streaming type/rate. I have to admit I have my suspicions about the Netflix app update that went in as it happened roundabout the time I noticed this. To me the picture doesn't look quite as good as it did.
I agree my Plusnet downstream rate has remained pretty steady at around 17M pretty much since I had the service connected.
Maybe Netflix engaged me in a game of pass the parcel between every involved party. I might go rattle Sony's cage some more 🙂
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Adam,
Having read this thread (which I was ignoring given the title) and noted that the player had down graded the streaming standard...
Quote from: woodm
Anyhow I spoke to Netflix Support on their chat thingy and after some troubleshooting they fingered my broadband connection so I called PlusNet Support who said that the 'SNR' was very low on my line so they would reset it. So they did that but when my connection came back I was still only hitting '1080' on Netflix and then I ran into a problem with the uncapping of my upstream

...I wonder if all of this relates to my observation - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133271.msg1165473.html#msg1165473 - in the other thread?
A low SNRM in its self is not an issue UNLESS the line is unstable.

@Mods,
Is there merit in merging these two threads, as sorting out the US and DS rates needs to be addressed before thinking about this streaming concern?

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

Just adding some more info on this that I got from Sony.
Netflix Super HD (what I was getting) is a less compressed 1080p picture than their standard HD (1080) To get this requires :
*  >=7Mb/s download speed
* Your ISP must be part of the 'Open Connect' network

- So at the moment I'm getting 16Mb/s (was 17Mb/s until my line was reset etc)
- Is Plusnet part of the 'Open Connect' network? I think they at least were? or are there currently problems with their 'Open Connect' connection or are they no longer part of it?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi woodm,
Is this any use to you.
http://www.netflixfixer.com/2013/03/6-things-you-should-know-about-netflix.html
You should find the answer to Open Connect there.
AndyH
Grafter

Plusnet peer at LINX/LONAP where there is Open Conenct, so that shouldn't be an issue.
See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110709.0.html and