cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net drop

Kazbah
Grafter

Re: Net drop

Do we have any ideas as to how this will be resolved yet???
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Net drop

Hi Kazbah,
Your connection logs are showing a couple of drops on the Friday afternoon so it might have been a connection drop, though that's not something that'll be down to us or our equipment - the physical connection itself is entirely down to the exchange equipment, the wiring from there to your premises and then the router.
There's only been one disconnection since then (teatime on the 15th) but nothing on there that looks out of the ordinary and certainly not a flurry of disconnections. Did the router that James sent out make any difference, and has anything changed since then such as new phones or anything like that? Is the router in the master socket?
I'd suggest raising a fault on this one, the above is just to pre-empt the checks we ask everyone to do when raising a new fault. Your line profile is still at 6.5mb so everything looks alright there as well.
As regards the web pages, if you could run some traceroutes to the slower sites so we can see where the slowdown is that would be great. I'm afraid the facebook game is stumping me, as I thought the majority of flash games cached content on your PC rather than needing to download constantly while playing.
Kazbah
Grafter

There was 3 disconnections on Friday and I was away on the Saturday til Sunday afternoon and had just gotten back in, switched on the PC and thats when the net died again on the 15th.
I haven't gotten around to fitting that router yet as I'm not convinced that has absolutely anything to do with it.How do i do a tracroute on the slower pages?
My PC is more than adeqaute to run the facebook game, it is spec'd to run even the latest of games, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 would run happily. I regularly play offline flash games and never have a problem. It requires the internet connection in order to run the game, it's almost as if the game is going too fast for it. The only thing what gets cached is the actual game (as if it has been installed) but the actual movement and dropping of the jewels within the game requires the internet (pings). I have done ping tests and at this time of night are usually anywhere up to 150ms, I have just done one now and the ping was 135ms and my download speed is at 2390kbps. Anyone who has any remote idea about pings will know that 135ms is that of what would be expected on a 56k modem not 8MB broadband.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You need to test with an alternative modem/router and filter plugged directly into the test socket and see if the problem continues (the connection drops). If you don't  and a fault is raised and BT send an engineer round, if the fault is in your equipment you will be hit with the £144+ bill!
The throughput speed problems are possibly down to the current network issues, although faulty modem/routers, filters & exchange issues can't be ruled out.
Kazbah
Grafter

I still haven't been advised of how to do a traceroute on slow loading pages  Undecided
Mand
Grafter

Re:Net drop

Hi there,
To run a traceroute do the following:
1) Go to Start
2) Choose 'Run'
3) Type: "cmd" (no quotes)
4) This should bring up a DOS prompt. Once there, type: "tracert domain.com" (no quotes)
5) Post the results here.
Smiley
Kazbah
Grafter

Thank you, will give it a go next time  Smiley