cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negligable speed increase after upgrade to 80/20 fibre

granilith

Negligable speed increase after upgrade to 80/20 fibre

Hi
Could someone please have a look at my connection please.
I upgraded on Saturday to the 80/20 fibre product and the last ticket on my account says that the activation would be completed before midnight last night.  I powered down my equipment this morning and ran some tests.
My upload has gone up to 10mpbs but I would have gotten that increase when the cap was removed from my old 40/10 product.  A download speed test shows my connection at 41mbps however before the upgrade I had a rock solid 37mbps.
Give this it looks like limits/restrictions have been changed however nothing has actually changed on my line.
The morning after I upgraded I did get an email saying that there was a problem with the upgrade and I would be contacted if there was any issues, I wasnt so I only assume that this problem was successfully corrected.
The figure that I was given as my estimated speed was 56mbps, however since I had almost the maximum speed on the old product I was hoping that even that estimate was very conversative and would actually be able to get 60mps+
Thanks for you time.
Andrew
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Negligable speed increase after upgrade to 80/20 fibre

Have you run a diagnostic BT speed test? What does that say?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The last line report was had showed your sync rate at 46598, so your profile on our side is set in relation to that. Might be worth powering down the router & modem for 5 minutes before bringing them back up, before you do so log in to the router and press 'disconnect'. This may trigger a change in sync speed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
granilith

Quote from: jelv
Have you run a diagnostic BT speed test? What does that say?

Hi Jelv
Yes I have ran the BT speed test and its shows my connection as 45.8mbps
You can see from Speedtest something happened overnight on Monday-Tuesday, the upload cap was lifted and there was a slight increase in download speed but nothing since.
Even taking the estimate on my line of 56mbps is correct its still 10 mbps too slow.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I'd suggest trying what Chris suggested in his reply to you to see if this will change your sync speed.
granilith

Hi Chris and Chris  Smiley
I tried your suggestion and powered down my equipment for an hour this afternoon when I got home from work.
See the attached screenshot of the BT Diagnostic Results after I reconnected.  My speed matches the PN profile but its the BT profile that is still low to my estimated line speed.
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi granilith,
I've checked your line and everything appears to be OK. I'd suggest raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net to let our fault's team have a look for you.
If you need any further help, let me know and I'll follow it up.
granilith

Hi Chris
I have logged this with the faults team. Thanks for your help
Andrew
dick:quote
granilith

Hi
I have had a response to my fault and been told that there is no problem.
There seems to be some difference between my "no problem" and PN. 
On upgrading I was told that I could expect 56mbps (+ or - 1 mbps) which is just over an 50% increase from my old product (37mbps).  My current sync speed is 45mbps which is only a 20% increase.
How can it be declared as no problem when there is such a gap in expected and achieved sync profiles?
jcheema

I'm pretty much having the same issue as you.
My upload speed is up but all PN users are going to get 9.5Mb upload anyway.
The download speed quoted at 50Mb I'm not even getting 40Mb around 37Mb is the average.
I'll try the router reset but if you IP profile is capped essentially you can't get more than that anyway.
shaunsheppard

I'm having a similar issue myself.
During the upgrade it said I would get 59mb down and 20mb up, after the the upgrade the BT speed test is showing...
Downstream
Download speedachieved during the test was - 49.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-53.61 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 53.61 Mbps
Upstream
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.27Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Although I've seen an increase in speed, it's still short of the estimate which was supposed to be accurate to within 1mb, but it's 6mb out. It's the upload speed I'm more concerned about.
reddev87
Grafter

Unfortunately that's just how it goes sometimes. Plusnet's estimates come directly from BT, and they are just that - estimates. Most people have had conservative estimates far lower than their actual speed, but at the same time others have had estimates far higher (including me).
Most of the time it's just pot luck if your estimate is accurate or not.
My estimate was 48Mb down and 11Mb up. In reality my speed is closer to 38Mb down and 6Mb up. 10Mb/5Mb lower than the estimate.
There is no line fault, that's just the speed my line is capable of, and I'll have to live with it. Still much better than the 4Mb ADSL2+ I was on previously.  Smiley