cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to keep re-starting!

johnnyp
Dabbler

Need to keep re-starting!

Apologies if this has been raised before, but since joining Plusnet a month or so ago I have come across a 'problem' that never existed before using  dialup.
When I leave the internet for a while to sort out files, photos, video editing etc (ie activities not requiring on-line) - on trying to return to email or surfing, I find that pages won't load and emails wont collect.
The only way to rectify this seems to be to close down and restart, which is becoming a real nuisance.  Anyone else suffer this, or can help?
In general I am more than happy with Plusnet broadband, but this problem is driving me daft!
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Need to keep re-starting!

How are you connecting to the internet - router or usb modem - and which model
If a router are you connecting through USB, wired network connector or wireless
Mav
Fixes: 514

A similar thing often happens with my mother's connection. In her case it only seems to be after a time of complete PC inactivity (i.e. after the screen blanker has activated).
For a quick solution I go to Control Panel - Network Connections and disable the connection and re-enable it. Not the most elegant solution but I haven't had enough time to really see what is happening.
HTH

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

johnnyp
Dabbler

Oldjim,
Through a USB connection (the ethernet connection is to my other computer, upstairs) The router is the Plusnet supplied BT Voyager 210.
Mav,
Will try your method (easier than a total restart - thanks.
paulh
Rising Star

assuming you're using windoze xp or similar, I'd have a look at controlpanel/system/hardware/devicemanager and see if your USB devices are set to be turned off automatically  to save power . if they are disable the setting (uncheck the box) and see how it goes
paul
johnnyp
Dabbler

paulh,
sorry couldn't see anything about switching off to save power (then again I'm not too good at these things!) when I followed your instruction.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

try control panel, power options and change system standby to never and see if that fixes it.
johnnyp
Dabbler

When I go to 'power options', there is no 'standby' box, just monitor and disk selectors.
I'm on XP - cannot understand why it's different.  Then, as I say, not very tech minded!
paulh
Rising Star

Sorry I may have made an assumption that your system is set up as mine is and that you are familiar with your system's innards. I am still assuming you are using XP though as you haven't said differently.
Try Oldjim's suggestion of course, but also have a look at this:
Perhaps if you try Start->Settings->Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance->System->Hardware->Device Manager.
That should open a "tree" of devices in your computer.
Scroll down the tree-list of devices, click to open "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" then look at "USB Root Hub" --there may be more than one.
Double click each of them and you should see a tab for "Power Management" which is where I was pointing you in my original reply.
paul
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: johnnyp
When I go to 'power options', there is no 'standby' box, just monitor and disk selectors.
I'm on XP - cannot understand why it's different.  Then, as I say, not very tech minded!
As I am on XP SP2 also I don't know why it is different - are you running with administrator rights or a limited user account.
Edit
Checking paulh's suggestion mine are set to switch off to save power which is the default but as my system never goes onto standby that doesn't matter
johnnyp
Dabbler

Paulh,
Managed to get to the USB root hub (3 of them) and removed the ticks in 'Power Management'.
Now to wait and see if it works!
Thanks for the help.
Oldjim,
Thanks also, sad to say I don't know what I am concerning 'administrator', 'limited user'  etc.  Just bought the computer, switched it on and away we go - that was it!!  Cheers.
Merry Xmas to all.
paulh
Rising Star

ok.
hope that fixes it.
if it doesn't there are at least two other possibilities that occur to me to have a look at , but it's always best to try one thing at a time.
One might be an "idle timeout" setting on the voyager 210 (if there is one -- i'm not familiar with that device)
do post back if you have further problems, no doubt someone will be able to help.
johnnyp
Dabbler

Cheers, Paul.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Because I was still curious as to why you didn't see that option I did a search on the net and found this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/maintain/powermgmt.mspx which tells me that you need to log on as an administrator and how to do it.
Having said all that if the suggestion by paulh fixes it I wouldn't take it any further
johnnyp
Dabbler

Oldjim,
Yes it seems I am logged on as 'administrator' (followed your link), so I still cannot understand why that 'box' was missing in the power options Huh
Oh well, have to wait and see if the other 'fix' works,  Cheers.