cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to cancel engineers visit (PLEASE CANCEL THE CANCEL)

carlcaulkett
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Need to cancel engineers visit (PLEASE CANCEL THE CANCEL)

Hello,

I am posting this here because I prefer not to use the telephone due to my stammer, and because the online-chat facility appears to be out of action.

I spoke earlier with a very helpful and friendly chap called [CSA Removed], complaining about the state of my broadband service. We arranged that a BT engineer would visit me on Saturday AM. I have since made a telephone order to upgrade my cabled Broadband service to a Fibre Optic service. I would like, therefore, to cancel the engineer’s visit on Saturday.

Could someone reply to this message to confirm that the visit has been cancelled?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) CSA name/s removed to private staff area as per Forum rules

Thanks in advance,

Carl Caulkett (carlcaulkett)

20 REPLIES 20
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Need to cancel engineers visit

Hi @carlcaulkett

you should know that this isn't actually an official customer technical support channel for Plus Net,  it's a public help forum and you're not supposed to post private details such as names of staff and your account details here. Therefore they can be seen by anybody who just happens to look at the forum which as I think you would appreciate could lead to valid complaint.  You'll  probably find such details will be removed by one of the moderators. 

Occasionally plus net staff do respond to these posts on the public forum and can take action to help customers. 

My advice to you to cancel you enginner visit would be to login to your Plus Net member account and add a note to your ticket. 

However.  Simply upgrading to fibre optic may not necessarily improve things for you. You haven't explained why your broadband service is underperforming and why are you made the complaint or why it was thought an engineer was booked. 

Without revealing any more details which Fibre  service have you ordered? And what speeds have you been advised you will receive following the upgrade ? 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If the problem you are currently experiencing is between the cabinet and your house you are very likely to have issues if you are upgrading to fibre to the cabinet. In addition, when you complain about it, it is highly probable you will be told it should settle down in the first 10 days training period (this is a lie - there is no such thing) and they'll fob you off reporting a fault.

If you have a line issue I'd STRONGLY recommend you try to get it fixed before you are upgraded.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@carlcaulkett wrote:

I am posting this here because I prefer not to use the telephone due to my stammer, and because the online-chat facility appears to be out of action.

Just a question on the CHAT service.  Was it showing as 'Busy' or 'Unavailable'.  This may help an investigation the SU's are involved in.

Thanks

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

carlcaulkett
Rising Star

Re: Need to cancel engineers visit (PLEASE CANCEL THE CANCEL)

Following advice on that most secretive of fora, namely Twitter, an unnamed person from Plustnet support advised me to carry on with the proposed visit by the BT Open Reach engineer. I would like to follow this advice and have the visit on Saturday morning.

carlcaulkett
Rising Star

It was showing up as "Unavailable" until maybe an hour ago. I've just checked and it is showing as being available again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Following advice on that most secretive of fora, namely Twitter, an unnamed person from Plustnet support advised me to carry on with the proposed visit by the BT Open Reach engineer. 

Unless I'm not remembering correctly, that was me. Smiley

I think it is a good idea to keep the engineer visit booked in as others have mentioned too it's possible the fault you're experiencing might be on the part of our suppliers network that will stay the same when you're upgraded to fibre.

It was showing up as "Unavailable" until maybe an hour ago. I've just checked and it is showing as being available again.

Due to changes we've made to live-chat, I believe it'd only show as available if there's a reasonable wait time.

Please let us know how the engineer visit goes. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
carlcaulkett
Rising Star

The only concern I have is what happens if the engineer determines that the fault is due to some problem within the property. I have an ongoing problem with a dishonest scrote of a flatmate, who I suspect maybe responsible for a lot of upload activity (as confirmed by an another earlier mystery tech person - not you Gandalf! - without giving too much away, he shares his name with a young prince!). I am worried that I may become liable for the charge of the call out... 

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you followed all the advice on the plus net site and there's nothing physically wrong with your set up in your property then you should not be charged any fee a fault is found elsewhere. 

If someone else is using .your internet connection without your  permission then you need to do something to prevent them from doing so, such as changing your routers wifi password ! Or if they have permission make it plain to them that their permitted use is subject to your conditions. Turn off the wifi when you don't want them to use use it. 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

... or if they are using a wired connection block their MAC.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@jelv can you actually do that with the Hub1 router

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@carlcaulkett

If you're concerned that the issues are caused by the high amount of upstream usage, I'd be happy to cancel the visit for you. Please let me know soon if you want to go ahead as the fault might progress to a stage where it can't be cancelled.

Also I notice you've lost connection recently. Looks like your router is trying to connect using the wrong password.

Can you factory reset it for me and let us know how it goes?

(as confirmed by an another earlier mystery tech person - not you Gandalf! - without giving too much away, he shares his name with a young prince!)

Was it Harry?

@jelv can you actually do that with the Hub1 router

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I know you can block individual computers from accessing the web in the settings of the Hub One.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
carlcaulkett
Rising Star

George!
carlcaulkett
Rising Star

The problem is that I don't know what the cause of the problem actually is. My liability for a £100 call out fee is dependent on the advice I get here.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Testing your line is showing the signal to noise ratio at 12db which indicates that your speed is being pushed down likely due to your connection dropping out.

So I'd stick with my initial thought and leave the engineer booked in, as I don't feel that uploading would cause that.

In addition, the fault can't be cancelled now anyway as it's reached a state with our suppliers that they call "past point of no return", meaning that the job has been allocated into their engineering work-stack ready for tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet