Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help from staff please

tjd
Grafter

Need help from staff please

Is there anyway I can get faster net?
I checked on BT Wholesale site and it says: Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
But goes on to say: Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.
It also says : Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 12Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 6Mbps.
And that I can get fibre -  It used to only say ADSL I think....
Is there anyway you can get my net faster please.
Thanks in advance

Edit: I'm basically asking for my line to be put do adsl 2 Tongue Sorry for the jibberish.. Too early for me
10 REPLIES 10
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Need help from staff please

Hi tjd,
You are currently on ADSL1 on 21CN. I suspect this may be because your line is on the cusp of benefiting from being on ADSL2+. I would be happy to move you over as you have requested but having performed a line test I don't think it's performing its best at the moment. I would first of all recommend trying to improve what you have first before moving to ADSL2+ as you may find it actually gets worse. Your attenuation is 47dB, your sync rate is 2112k and your SNR has a target of 15dB. Judging by those figures I think there is something that needs attending to.
I would first look at how your equipment is set up, where the filters are placed etc. Do you have faxes, Sky TV or any other equipment using the phone line and how they are filtered; what kind of wiring you have in the house, whether you are using extension cables/sockets. Where the router is in conjunction to the main socket. Do you have a test socket.
If you can answer these questions it would help me get a better idea of how to progress.
Jojo Smiley
tjd
Grafter

Nothing is connected to the internet except the router. (No sky / fax machine, not even a telephone)]
It's not connected in the master socket because there would be loads of wires near the front door.
There's a cable from the router running upstairs but that's about it.

I had a lot of trouble when i first joined plus net and when the engineers were sent out apparently they found loads of damaged wire in the box or under the road, not sure though.

Edit: Forgot to say when you open the front door master socket is behind the hinge of the door, then inside living room there is a phone socket which the router is plugged into.
I never thought there was something wrong with the line as it's always been about this speed since I have been with PlusNet.
Sorry I can't give you any better info
Also it was downlodaing at 250KB / sec yesterday but it's gone right down to like 20 KB / Sec
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tjd,
It would help if you could plug into the test socket. Just plug you filter directly into it and your router into the filter, with no extensions in between. Once you have done this I can determine what difference it makes.
Jojo Smiley
tjd
Grafter

Just got back from work give me a minute please Smiley
I will private message you when i've done it
Edit: Just to say all my phone wiring on the inside is new and installed by BT when i first came to PlusNet so if it's problem with my wiring they can fix it for free lol. Not a chance i'd pay them 120£ to fix their mistake <_>.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TJ,
Thanks for your time on the phone. I've ordered the reset, I'll let you know when it's taken effect.
Jojo Smiley
tjd
Grafter

Oh wow.... Within 2 minutes of you getting off the phone it's now double the speed we've ever been connected at.
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:38
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,320
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.5 / 49.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 22 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 9,010
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Thank you so much Joanne I really appreciate it.
Wonder if the wire has gone dodgy where it kinks going around the door. Tongue
Anyway, you've helped me yet again Joanne, thank you ❤️  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI TJ,
Although you can see the new sync rate that's not the speed you're getting. I've adjusted the profile to 3500 now, it was 1500 before. You should see the increase within the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
tjd
Grafter

Honestly, thanks again. Compared to the result i'd have had from my last ISP this is amazing. You're a star Smiley
Feel free to lock or delete thread Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Tj,
we wouldn't lock or delete threads but you can edit your original post and change the title to "Need help from staff please -RESOLVED"
Jojo Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you do that by going to your first post, click modify and alter the title Smiley Cool