Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need explanation on line test

mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Need explanation on line test

I have raised a ticket with tech support no.115229681 and they did a line test and left a lot of info in the question but I have no idea what it all means! Is the red highlights bad?
I was told that an engineer will get in touch in the next few days but I want to know what will happen?
Any help will be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Need explanation on line test

You should rub out the ID numbers at the top of the picture.  Also report one of your posts to a mod and ask for it to be removed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,
It's a but difficult to answer the question - you've not said why you've raised the ticket, nor what kind if engineer will be in touch or why.  The stats are not perfect, but the are not overly bad.
The report does not clearly indicate if this is a 20CN or a 21CN service (see here) but the max speed implies ADSL 1 modulation.  The DS attenuation would set expectations of a synch speed of 6Mbps+ for ADSL 1 or 9Mbps+ for ADSL 2/2+ with a 6dB SNRM.
Your line is running at 9dB implying either spare capacity or (as suggesed by the line quality indicator being Amber) is being 'managed' to deal with line errors.
If the engineer in question is a BTOR engineer who requires access to the premises, you should have an appointment slot.  If they don't require access (there's an external fault) then you are not likely to hear from them.  The other possibility is its a PN faults advisor who will be contacting you to run some tests requiring you to connect / disconnect kit on the line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mexicano
Rising Star

Thanks Townman. I keep getting disconnections but the last 3 days it seems to have stopped. I called PN last week to find out if it was them or me and had to wait for 1 hour to talk to them. They went thru all the checks, you know, test socket, ethernet cable and reboot the router. And I also did the questions when I raised the ticket. Then the CS guy said that he will arrange an engineer to come round. I told him that I am always at home and he said that Bt will send me a text with date and time when they will arrive. I wanted to find out what all that stuff meant before the BT engineer arrived and I didn't want to call PN and have to hold on for another hour!
The engineer still hasn't contacted me. The PN guy said I should receive a call on Monday. I will wait and see.
Thanks again.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is very odd!  If an 'on premises' visit is required then BTOR engineers are always by appointment agreed with the user via the ISP.  There is the potential for a fault found in user equipment charge or a user not at home charge, which needs to be highlighted to the user when BTOR engineering is sanctioned.
Is there an appointment on your ticket?  See the link below.
@CRT - can you clarify what is happening here please?  Has an exchange / external fault been identified, for which one would not expect a premises visit or BTOR contact with the EU - beyond the exceptional engineer going the extra mile to confirm with the EU (if they happen to be home) that all is well after the external fix?  Is there a need for feedback to the CS agent?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mexicano
Rising Star

Yes the guy at PN told me I might me charged £50.00 if the engineer finds the fault with my equipment.
This is the header on the jpg I posted earlier:
Thank you for your call today. I am sorry your broadband is still not working. This issue is currently being investigated by our faults team.
***INTERNAL***
Statement accepted.
Available throughout coming week, just notify via text message of time.
It doesn't actually say who will contact me via text. I just presumed it would be BT.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Townman
The report does not clearly indicate if this is a 20CN or a 21CN service (see here) but the max speed implies ADSL 1 modulation.

Oh yes it does clearly indicate that it's on 21CN because the Upstream speed is (was) 991.The line might however be provisioned as ADSL1 with uncapped upstream. The Upstream errors seem to be the problem, the Downstream seems OK but that may be because of the elevated SNRM on the Downstream.  The Upstream SNRM is rather low.
@mexicano
Is your phone line working? Can you hear/have you heard any audible noise on the line - crackles etc.? Use the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 if need be.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

AO,
Thank you for the CLUE I missed which INFERS the connection service rather than (as I suggested) CLEARLY stating 20 or 21 so as to make it easy for normal folk.

mexicano
Rising Star

AO,
No problems with my line. No noise or crackling.