cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice... Im going to repair my line.

Evilgenius
Grafter

Need advice... Im going to repair my line.

Builders were around today and cut my line accidentally from the part where it enters the house to the line that connects and runs down to the master socket.
As you can see with these 4 images, I think the actual break is under the bricks as the exposed orange wire was always shown but only slightly and the little box attached to the old existing window frame.
Now I could phone BT and get them to fix it but I believe the standard charge could be £110 and of course I could pass this on to the builder. Id much rather fix it myself because I could do it much sooner. All i need to know is what type of cable is on the outside and what type in the inside and which little box to buy.
As you can see this has greatly affected my speed.
est1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  960 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 84 kbps

Any help or comments would greatly be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16
johnjarram
Grafter

Re: Need advice... Im going to repair my line.

don't know if you can do it yourself everything before the master socket belongs to bt and is a breach of contract if you alter it,i've heard in some cases they have disconnected peoples phone lines for it,and on some lines they use connectors that can't be used again so be careful.having said that i've heard cat5 network cable works well for phone lines
Evilgenius
Grafter

John cheers, so cat5 from the outside to the white cable or cat5 from outside to the master socket?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

As "johnjarram" says..... all repeat all wiring before it enters your house, and terminates in the "consumer" connection box, belongs to BT.....If the builder did the damage, whether accidentally or purposely, then he will be liable for any charges that BT may lay upon you.  HPsauce, has often warned people of tampering with BT equipment, which includes the wiring, and the dire consequences that can befall anyone who tries to "pull the wool over their eyes" saying "not me guv, was done before I moved in" does not wash.
I am not too sure of the legalities of the contract with BT, but I would recommend you call them out to repair it...... If you repair it, and then complain next month that your line is noisy, not working, or any other fault, then they come out and find your repair, you will be "in it" up to your neck..... all for the sake of going down the "proper" route.
EDIT.... it would be the same as trying to repair the gas main yourself, or the water main to your house... ! ! explosion or flood, and the supplier would say..... your fault, therefore you pay.
johnjarram
Grafter

bt are quite quick with repairs usually,i had one out a few weeks back,plusnet rang me at 6:45 in the evening to arrange a visit and it was fixed by 11:00 am the next day
itsme
Grafter

Looking at you photos it look like you can gain a few inches of the existing outside cable by reentering the house further back.
@shutter
Water main is not a good example as the householder is responsible for the pipes on their land to the stopcock which is on the public footpath.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think that really has to be done by BT.
The incoming wire may need partly replacing, or you might be able to persuade BT to reroute it along a shorter path if there is somewhere appropriate.
Do you have a proper NTE5A master socket? If not they should fit one at the same time, but make sure it's where you want it not where it's easy for them!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@itsme.    The principle is the same.... the householder is responsible for the water pipe after  the termination of the suppliers point.  The same applies to the telephone line.  Gas is a little different, inasmuch as ALL gas repair work must be carried out by a CORGI certificated operator. However, the Gas supply up to and including the meter is the responsibility of the Gas transport company. So the principle is still the same.
itsme
Grafter

You know that last statement about gas is incorrect as per this thread
Evilgenius
Grafter

okay i met a BT engineer today in my street. He said it would be very easy for me to fix my line myself, only 2 wire need reconnecting. So after a brief chat with the buidler who broke it, he fixed it.
My line speed as reported by my router is now as seen below which is actually very good for my line as its usually around 1.2mb. Using plusnet speed tester I see im actually only downloading at
Today 10:21  134 kbps (16.8kB/s)

Am I right in thinking that it takes a few hours for the IP profile to go up?
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 1792 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 3.7 dB 13.0 dB
Line Attenuation 63.5 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 17.2 dBm 12.3 dBm
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 57 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 4 8
D (interleaver depth) 8 4
Super Frames 79767  79765 
Super Frame Errors 4  42 
RS Words 1356042  678002 
RS Correctable Errors 19195  114 
RS Uncorrectable Errors 13  0 
HEC Errors 3  0 
OCD Errors 0  0 
LCD Errors 0  0 
ES Errors 0  0 

James
Grafter

Hi Evilgenius,
Hopefully you're right, but realistically it may take up to 3 days for the IP Profile to be lifted.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
Gas is a little different, inasmuch as ALL gas repair work must be carried out by a CORGI certificated operator ...

Nope. But of course those folks in the gas industry, who pay for CORGI, want you to believe this.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Evilgenius
Grafter

ahh okay james,, thanks for the heads up.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've been in the CORGI argument on another forum.
It's incredibly wrapped in legislation, but you don't have to use a Corgi-registered person.
However, complying with the legislation in any other way is virtually impossible and is definitely so (at present) for anyone doing it commercially as there are no accredited alternatives.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce
... any other way is virtually impossible ... for anyone doing it commercially as there are no accredited alternatives.

Indeed, this does not mean DIY is excluded. As I said CORGI is paid for by a self selected group to promote themselves.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed