Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a plusnet router I think, please help :D

scratchrat
Grafter

Need a plusnet router I think, please help :D

Hey guys! Interesting one here!
I chose the no contract option for two reasons.
1) I wanted to try before I buy with Plusnet as I'd heard mixed reviews and I had issues with 2 previous ISP's
2) I already had a router so I figured, why not?
However, I've discovered that my router is not very good, due to it blocking things such as Second Life and other applications. Is there a way to get a free wireless router from Plusnet, even if it means a contract?
Anybody else had these issues with Second Life?
10 REPLIES 10
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Need a plusnet router I think, please help :D

I've no Idea what second life Is, I have only one  ;D, Regarding the router plusnet will give you one for a 12 month contract plus P&P@£4.99, Now I will give you a link to the exact router plusnet will give you and It wont cost you a 12month contract and will cost you just ten quid more,Whatever you do Is down to yourself, Personally I don't like the router but each to their own.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280648096757&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

You have a router that blocks Second Life?  I very much doubt it, unless it's been told to in the firewall rules.  Care to expand on why you think your router blocks Second Life?
scratchrat
Grafter

It's a known issue with the router I have, Second Life themselves are aware of the issue and refer me to Netgear who are a bunch of [expletives] and won't help me as I am not in warranty. It's fine though, I'll get a new one.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Whats the model?  You may be able to put custom firmware on it, or indeed just upgrade it to the latest Netgear firmware.
Epyon
Grafter

Yup custom firmware may help.
scratchrat
Grafter

I updated it to the newest netgear one. It is a DGN1000
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is this the problem
To start with, I was using a Netgear DG834GT until it died about a week ago. This was replaced with a Netgear DG834Gv5 which I assumed would work pretty much identically. How wrong I was. The wireless on it was, in a word, [Censored]. I had to go through hell and back to try and get my XBox connected up and even once I'd jumped that hurdle, there was simply no persuading the laptop to connect to it. Had I been able to access the internet at the time, I wouldn't have made the mistake of buying the thing in the first place because Netgear's forums are literally covered in posts about how [Censored] the thing is.
So we returned it in exchange for a Netgear DGN1000 which worked fine apart from any kind of gaming. Apparently that's also Netgear's [Censored]-up due to their firmware effectively locking out every single port on the router, regardless of forwarding and DMZ settings. I managed to find this little tidbit of information scouring every review site possible.
So after a long scream, we finally decided to go with the DGN2000 and this thing seems to be working like a charm so far. I'm just [Censored] off it took so long to sort out.
The lesson to be learned here is 1) do your research more thoroughly than I did and 2) DO NOT BUY THE DGN1000 IF YOU INTEND TO PLAY GAMES.
This may be worth trying http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=257422
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Must admit until recently I was using the DGN1000 but occasionally lost wireless connection when I was using my xbox 360, Only a reboot of the router cured the problem for a while, Now use the DGN2000 and It works like a dream, No problems at all.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
scratchrat
Grafter

I just ordered the Thomson one from Plusnet, hopefully that will be user friendly.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Oddly enough, that is the very router I have just bought myself to replace my old DG834 v4 which I have shipped down to my Mum's for her BB service.
I've found that the new router seems to deal with everything much better including VNC.. to the point that I've nearly reached my 20gb limit!  Cool
Can't rate that router highly enough, and bought it for £59 from PC World, although I am sure it might be cheaper elsewhere.
The Thomson router is ok for basic stuff, although I found that they do tend to run a bit warm..