cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a higher SNR margin

chrisips2

Need a higher SNR margin

Okay, I've been spoilt with super responsive customer service in the past and I appreciate you get what you pay for.  But....  Are there some magic words I can use to the customer service department to get a more stable connection?
I have one or two disconnections per day on my ADSL line which is one or two too many really since I use the connection for VoIP.  My friends and work colleagues don't like it when I 'hang-up' on them!
Previously I have had connections that have interleaving switched off (because it plays havoc with my VoIPs dynamically adjustable jitter buffer) and an SNR margin of 12dB.  I'm used to an up-time of hundreds of hours.  Now, with Plusnet I have an interleaved connection and an SNR margin of 9dB.  And frequent disconnections!
I asked them to change the margin, they said they would change the mean-time between errors - so far, no difference.  I asked them to change the interleave status to 'off', and despite assuring me that it's off (twice), it's still on!
Any clues.  To get my fast-path 12dB.  It shouldn't be this difficult should it?
Many thanks.
Chris
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Need a higher SNR margin

Hi Chris,
Removing interleaving should be fairly straight forward but I'd be loathe to do it whilst you're suffering disconnections as it's unlikely to make that situation any better. Putting customers on a static profile is fairly trivial for 21CN circuits but it's not so easy for 20CN (which it looks like you're provisioned on). Depending on your router, you may be able to force the SNR up using DMT.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chrisips2

Hey Bob
Well, I'm on 21CN so hopefully I could be put on a static profile.  The reason I am using G.DMT is because using ADSL2 (or ADSL2+) shows a lot of errors and a very erratic connection.  Close to unusable.  G.DMT doesn't show these significant errors.
There are hardly any errors at the moment just a lot of disconnections.  So it looks from an out-siders point of view that the equipment at the exchange is forcibly disconnecting in order to renegotiate a faster connection.  Of course I'm probably wrong!
For over two years I had a fast-path connection, 12dB and next to no disconnections.  I had US of 800000 (Max premium (year 1), LLU (year 2)) and DS of 6200000 ish!  Ping times to London servers were a consistant 12ms.
Now I see US 448000 (capped - I understand why), DS of around 7200000 and ping times that could be anywhere from 28ms to 55ms to the same London server (even though the interleave depth is zero which I admit is a bit weird).
I'm pretty sure my equipment isn't at fault as I have substituted a filter, cable and a router with a ADSL hardware by another manufacturer.  It hasn't helped.
To get the lovely connection I had before I asked for FAST12SNR and it was done.  What should I ask for from Plusnet to get the same?  I asked for this and got a 'different' mean time between errors (no further info) and two responses stating interleaving was switched off (it really isn't off - I hate to argue the point!).
My first ten days with Plusnet were on fast path with 6dB.
Many thanks.
Chris
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Chris,
[quote=chrisips2]I'm pretty sure my equipment isn't at fault as I have substituted a filter, cable and a router
Have you tried it in the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
chrisips2

Thanks for your post Jojo.  Yes, I have the router plugged into the test socket (behind the master socket).  Belt and braces technology in my house!!  🐵
chrisips2

Get this!  My SNR margin is now a whopping 23dB!!!!!  Eck!  I only wanted 12!  And it's fixed at that because I reset the connection and it's negotiated 23dB again.  Trouble is my download speed is suffering now at just 3Mb.  At 12dB it would be 5.5!
AND it's STILL interleaved.
Customer service are giving me the silent treatment now.
Does anyone know a reasonably priced LLU provider that has a minimum contract length of 1 month.  I feel the need to try something new.  This connection is awful.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chrisips2,
I would certainly say open a fault here first and give us a chance to sort it out for you.
Jojo Smiley
chrisips2

I already have. It's been eight days.  That's why I'm here!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chrisips2,
You have an open question with us but not a fault. If you get a fault raised I'll get someone to pick it up for you.
Jojo Smiley
chrisips2

I filled out the faults form again yesterday.  Twice infact as the first time didn't seem to do anything.  Now I have an extra question open.  I'm not sure I can raise a fault.  :o(
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI chrisips2,
You did raise it successfully, i have now edited it to include a reference to the original question and will endeavour to get this picked up now for you.
Jojo Smiley
chrisips2

Thank you for you intervention Jojo.  As you can see from the attached, the connection is perfect.  Exactly what I asked for.  I'll monitor it but I have a good feeling this is the end of my rant.  I must learn to have more faith!
Thanks.