Re: Need To Resolve Speed Issue

I object - it wasn't me (for once) Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

going back a few months, I think Xmas- New year we had a lot of cases like this, just after transfer, It was s foreign sounding  PN Poster with a lot of knowledge who sorted them out, seemed to be the old ISP had put a clamp on just before transfer
Adderman
Grafter

OK  Jamesh & ta.
I'll try option 2 as you suggest.
Can you take this message as authorisation for you to do this?
Also can you tell me if I need to do anything to help it along, and what I can expect - ie how long? service interruptions? etc etc. Thanks   Adderman
Spraxyt - appreciated.  I'll defer on this pending results of Jamesh's actions as above.
Pierre_Pierre  -   Been with PN since April 2006 so the transfer thing wasn't an issue, but thanks anyway.
adie:green removed 2 acres of whitespace :)]
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Adderman,
a bit of editing of that dead space in the previous post would help if a mod doesn't get there first. It doesn't matter what actions are being taken to sort your issue, you still need to learn how to read your stats so you can monitor what is happening on your line.
Edit: Comment to James removed - wrong thread, sorry.
Adderman
Grafter

Hello Anotherone. 
Taken on board  ;). Actually  I've just tried spraxyt's suggestion above and nothing happens. There isn't a ZyXEL logo that appears. I'll give it another go tonight.
Ta
Adderman
PS ref: my previous post. I've raised a ticket for  Jamesh anyway.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you tried here, http://www.devicemanuals.com/guide/Network/ZyXEL/ZyXEL-P-630-S1-1.0-User-Guide-TkRnd05UTT.html, takes a lot of pushing buttons but eventually downloads a 63 page manual
and if you can find it hope it works
James
Grafter

Hi Adderman,
I've just seen your post.
I'll get the up/downgrade order placed now.  It'll complete tomorrow.
Adderman
Grafter

Appreciated Jamesh  Cool
Adderman
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Adderman
Actually  I've just tried spraxyt's suggestion above and nothing happens. There isn't a ZyXEL logo that appears. I'll give it another go tonight.

I imagine the logo you are meant to click (or should it be double-click?) is that for the modem already shown in the system tray. If there isn't one there I think you would have to find it in Control Panel.
David
David
Adderman
Grafter

Cheers spraxyt but already tried that. Went through all the tabs that came up and the nearest I got to any "stats" was (basic?) stuff like:
Speed: 2.2Mbps
Compression: 0%
Errors: 0
I think the posters on here were looking for something a bit more meaty like:
Atten/Loop loss
Sync speed/Rate/Connection
SNR/Noise/Margin
CRC/HEC/RS/FEC errors
Adderman
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes it's sync speeds, attenuations and noise margins that we are after. Shame the modem is reluctant to let on what those are.
After a bit of Googling I think the instructions I gave probably apply to a different device (router/modem) for which ZyXel also used the 630 series number, though it's a different model. Huh
David
James
Grafter

@ Adderman
Your order should now have completed, what speeds are you seeing now?
Adderman
Grafter

Hi Jamesh and spraxyit.
James - tray icon now indicating speed of 7.3/7.4 Mbps so many thanks  Wink  I'll keep an eye on speed over the next ten days or so ("training period"?).  I have momentarily lost connection a couple of times but guess this has something to do with the speed reconfiguration which needs to settle down?  Also James I've ordered a router: do I hold off changing from modem to router during the training period, or is it ok to install router straight away? Ta
spraxyt - thanks again. see above re imminent change to a router. I'll put trying to get my modem stats to bed!
Cheers
Adderman
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd do it straight away, but in daytime when your noise levels are likely to be lowest.
One tip, don't just unplug the line from any modem/router. Best to powerdown and wait a minute or two before unplugging the line.
You can 'talk' to your router interface, find your way around how to access the stats etc. without it connected to the line. Might be best to have a short 'play' before you connect your line.
Oh, do this FIRST. Check in Device Manager that your Ethernet port is enabled, and working properly (ie. all the drivers correctly installed etc.).
That current sync speed of 7.3./7.4 is probably a touch high for you line attenuation (if that figure from the previous PN test is still current/correct) hopefully it won't settle down lower than 6816, if your lucky it might be 7392 or a touch higher but we'll have to wait and see the line stats to make a better judgement on that.
Adderman
Grafter

Thanks again Anotherone.  Advice taken on board.  Awaiting router delivery. Another question please.
Q: I understand that routers don't place drivers on my computer. Will it be ok then to leave my original modem drivers installed -  without them interfering with router set up -  just until I'm satisfied that the new router works ok? (My thinking is that if the new router turns out to be a dud I can just revert instantly and temporarily back to my modem pending acquisition of a replacement router).
Ta
Adderman