cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice - Electrical Appliance Kills DSL Connection

James
Grafter

Re: Need Advice - Electrical Appliance Kills DSL Connection

Not if you maintain those synchronisation speeds.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: James

As has been pointed out earlier, this exercise machine should not be causing interference to knock out a broadband connection.  I mean, how many people have broadband these days? (About 7-8 million or so).  I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer of the machine and advising them that it is causing your internet connection to drop as it may have developed a fault.  It's a long shot, but might work.

EMC covers both emissions and susceptibility. So the exercise machine could be within the emissions limits but the router could be failing on the susceptibilty. So may be worth trying a different router if you can.
hulls
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: James

As has been pointed out earlier, this exercise machine should not be causing interference to knock out a broadband connection.  I mean, how many people have broadband these days? (About 7-8 million or so).  I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer of the machine and advising them that it is causing your internet connection to drop as it may have developed a fault.  It's a long shot, but might work.

EMC covers both emissions and susceptibility. So the exercise machine could be within the emissions limits but the router could be failing on the susceptibilty. So may be worth trying a different router if you can.

Of course.  The thing is that a wireless device is always going to be more susceptible, and the legislation allows for that.
John
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: hulls

Of course.  The thing is that a wireless device is always going to be more susceptible, and the legislation allows for that.
John
Not sure if wireless come into it as the problem is the lost of sync to the exchange which is different circuitry than the wireless connection to the LAN.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Have you tried plugging your PC direct into one of the Ethernet ports on the DSL-G604T instead of (presumably) using wireless?
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
hulls
Grafter

Hi
Below is part of the Electromagnetic Compatibilty Regulations.  Specifically regulation 4(2)
"(2) Equipment shall be designed and manufactured, having regard to the state of the art, so as to ensure that—
(a)the electromagnetic disturbance it generates does not exceed a level above which radio and telecommunications equipment or other equipment cannot operate as intended;"

Clearly if the exercise machine causes your router to stop working properly, for whatever reason, then someone needs to address it. Lips_are_sealed
John
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: hulls

(a)the electromagnetic disturbance it generates does not exceed a level above which radio and telecommunications equipment or other equipment cannot operate as intended;"

The exercise machine could be operating outside the EMC requirements. But, as I pointed out the EMC cover both emissions and susceptibility so this does not rule out the router having problems. From the OP postings the exercise machine seem only to be affecting the router and not TV or radios. But TV and radios may not be a good guide as these are tuned to a very narrow band of frequencies and would not be affected too much be other electrical noise unless closed to the tuned frequency. If the OP have access to another wired router and this also drops the connection then this will rule out the OP router. Leaving the Exercise machine and maybe the internal wiring of the house to blame.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

We seem to be missing the point and this thread has gone a bit off track.
The original poster referred to the router losing synch or going to a very low noise margin.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the wireless part of the router but to the connection from the router to the exchange.
There are a number of possible reasons why this is happening but one is that the machine is creating interference which is being picked up by the telephone wires running round the house which are acting as an aerial.
Looking at the BT price list I think you can get a master socket fitted for about £25 +vat or perhaps even without charge which would allow you to isolate your internal wiring from the ADSL connection and even add a faceplate filter.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
There are a number of possible reasons why this is happening but one is that the machine is creating interference which is being picked up by the telephone wires running round the house which are acting as an aerial.

The reason that wiring is in twisted pairs is to stop the aerial effect. The electrical pick up on one wire will be the same as the other so cancelling out each other. If it's down to the wiring it's probably related to the bell wire or poor wiring.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Agree completely - the chance of proper twisted pair wiring being used is very low indeed hence my suggestion of getting a proper master socket and fitting a filtered faceplate which should stop anything from the old wiring affecting the ADSL signal
kingkobra
Grafter

Interesting discussions...
I'm going to try and borrow a router if I can, at least then I can put it down to the machine interfering with the wires, rather than with the router.