cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Necessity of engineer visit? (New customer, new service)

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Necessity of engineer visit? (New customer, new service)

Hi guys,
I was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on the necessity of an engineer visit, the short supply of which appears to be adding some delay to my phone/broadband order!  Undecided
For background, I recently (Aug 19th) moved house and set about arranging for phone and broadband service from Plusnet. At the time my phoneline had a dialtone, however I could not make any calls - other than to 17070 which confirmed the previous occupant's phone number. I knew they were intending on taking their number with them and sure enough a couple of days later the phone number on 17070 changed. Since then the line appears fully active insofar that I can make/receive calls, and indeed use dialup which is a real test of patience I can tell you!  🐵
A couple of days ago I received a call from Plusnet to arrange an engineer's visit for my phone/broadband service but unfortunately the earliest available slot is on 6th Sep apparently due to high demand at the moment. I obviously don't mind waiting in the queue however the chap that called said that the visit was required in order for the engineer to physically connect my phoneline up - I mentioned that my line already appeared to be up-and-running, and indeed that I've been using it, but he said it was still necessary nevertheless.
I was wondering if someone could clarify why this visit is indeed necessary? I hope I don't sound disbelieving or impatient, although I must admit I am eager to get up-and-running asap! To be honest, given that the phoneline seems to be alive and kicking I was actually expecting the modem/router to be posted out with instructions for a self-install and, perhaps, the option for an engineer's visit for those that may desire/require it?
If anyone can shed some light on the process I'd be very grateful, and it may help make the wait for the 6th Sep easier to live with!
Cheers,
Mathew
22 REPLIES 22
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Necessity of engineer visit? (New customer, new service)

Not sure Mathew but could be possibly down to BT protocol where they have to physically check the line to clear it for service rather than take your word for it to save a blame game later. A bit like British gas would check you boiler before covering it on insurance.
MJN
Pro

That's a good point AWB, you could well be right. If someone from Plusnet could confirm this that would be appreciated.
Mathew
Denzil
Grafter

I'm not from PN, but very often the engineer's visit is not necessarily to your property, but to the exchange to physically connect your line to the broadband equipment there.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I have an industrial unit that needed a phone line. Like MJN I also had a dial tone but they still came out and done something at the green box out side then tested the nte5 box in the unit.
I think it's just procedure, IF MJN is getting a new number because the old tenant took it with them as happened with me they will change something over in laymens terms  Grin then check to see if its running ok.
MJN
Pro

I think my curiosity is perhaps exasperated by some impatience, although I probably ought to get used to it as one of the downsides to moving away from the city is that I'm going from a 50Mbps connection to a predicted 2.5Mbps tops!  Shocked
I'm also fearing an unnecessary wait and that an engineer will turn up and tut at the fact that he's been sent to (re)connect a line that is quite clearly already connected!
Mathew
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Believe me m8 they won't be tutting at you it's a nice easy day bit of work for some one  Wink
onlyme
Grafter

I had a similar problem when I joined PN. After Orange and Talk-Talk both failed to connect me with broadband, I signed up with PN and they found a fault on my line and arranged for an engineer to call and sort it.  The engineer needed access to my property to plug his diagnostic equipment into my master box to find the location and distance of the fault, which, in my case, was at the exchange. 
That is why the engineer needs to access your property. My problem was sorted within the hour, something the other two ISP's failed to do after 2 months of trying and they never sent an engineer. Thanks Plusnet, I won't leave you.
My wireless router is playing up a bit, can I have a free one please?.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI MJN,
I've been looking int this for you and have one of our top provisioning guys investigating it. There does seem to be some some conflict between what is happening at your end (dial tone etc) and what the ordering system is showing, so as soon as I get a definitive answer I'll get back to you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ onlyme,
thanks for the kind remarks, although if you think your router is playing up then we could send you a new one on a deferred contract (instead of charging you the £40 up front then we would waive it if you stayed for 12 months) as your old one is out of warranty. There is a one-off postage and packaging charge of £4.99.
If you would like me to do this then just give me a shout!
Jojo:)
MJN
Pro

Quote from: Joanne
HI MJN,
I've been looking int this for you and have one of our top provisioning guys investigating it. There does seem to be some some conflict between what is happening at your end (dial tone etc) and what the ordering system is showing, so as soon as I get a definitive answer I'll get back to you.
Jojo Smiley

That's great Jojo - many thanks.
Monday is not looking too far away now, however if anything can expedite the process it would of course be appreciated!
Looking on the bright side, having just moved house this respite from the Internet does seem to have curbed my missus' spending although something tells me she'll be playing catchup once we're back online!
Mathew
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mathew,
Now, bearing in mind how your poor wife is suffering at the moment I think you should get her something extra special for her patience!
Seriously though, apparently it's not just a straight forward switch on and the engineers have already done the work outside your property and as the line is still not active then a visit is needed. so, thanks for your patience. You should just have enough time to get the credit card topped up! Wink
Jojo Smiley
MJN
Pro

Thank Jojo for the update, will wait until Monday for the engineer - I'll let the missus know. You will forgive me if I may accidentally forget to tell her the rest...?  Wink
Mathew
MJN
Pro

Hi Jojo,
On a related note to my original enquiry, am I right in thinking that it will be a BT engineer that is visiting on Monday given that there is apparently a physical line/wiring issue? If so, what is the situation regarding the modem/router - I'm guessing that this is something that BT are not involved hence something he will not be bringing with him? Does that mean there will be additional delay whilst that kit is sent out. If so, why is it not being sent out in advance ready to hit the ground running when the line is fixed?
Feeling somewhat frustrated now at how long this is taking, and looking like taking if the above premise turns out to be the case. Having to take a day's leave to accomodate the engineer's visit was only pacified by the thought that I'd at least be getting Internet access back on the day but now I am wondering if this will be the case afterall?
Edit: Just phoned customer services and whilst the operative was very helpful she was at a loss as to why the engineer had to visit given that the line was evidently working. However, she recommended sticking with the plan just in case as if we were to cancel the visit and press ahead only to find there is an issue then I'd be waiting even longer for the service to start. She kindly kick-started the order for the router and so whilst I won't be up-and-running on Monday I should apparently be good to go at the earliest opportunity within 5-7 days after that. This is all very frustrating, and whilst I can't help but feel it is not any wrongdoing on the part of PlusNet I don't know where else to vent my frustration!
Regards,
Mathew
onlyme
Grafter

@Matthew
The engineer who will call on you will be from Openreach, the company that installs and maintains all the wiring on the BT network.  Even though you have a dial tone, can make and receive calls and can use dial-up internet from your premises (as was the position in my case), it is likely that the broadband (LLU) jumpers are not connected in the exchange.  The engineer will plug in his diagnostic equipment into your master box; he will not bring a router, he doesn't need one. He will locate the position and nature of the fault and rectify it for you. Providing you have a router on Monday, you will undoubtedly have a broadband connection on the day.  Your speed will probably be a bit slow at first until the system settles down. I am sure PN are doing all they can, but they have little control over Openreach's engineer appointments schedule.
Refer to my previous post.