cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nat loopback

les37b
Grafter

Nat loopback

I have signed up to a fibre connection due to commence shortly.
On my network, I have a few devices (CCTV, Media server WHS2011 and satellite gear) that requires an external IP to be used to to be accessed internally, which modems without Nat Loopback firewall out. (The modem gets confused poor things!)  Grin
Anyway...... I did ask a question a short while back, that suggested it was possible with the modem provided, but havent seen any details on how its done.
Annoyingly, I spent a small fortune on a Belkin Gigabit Modem last year without realising it didnt support it..... but the time has come to lose the gigabit speed and get full functioning back!
Any pointers appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Nat loopback

If it's the PlusNet supplied TG582n then I believe ( but have not tried it myself! ) that using the Telnet CLI you can enable NAT loopback with the 'ip config natloopback=enabled' command.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

les37b
Grafter

Thanks Mr W.....
As mentioned, someone had said it was possible..... I just didnt know how it was done!
I'll have a delve on Telnet CLI to see if I can find anything. I've got no problem in editing the .cfg - just not sure how access is gained!
adie:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

No need to go into the cfg. Just telnet into the router , issue the command and then do a 'saveall' command, that should make it permanent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

les37b
Grafter

OK cheers
PS... Mods... why did you edit my post above? If I did anything wrong. I'm unaware!
jim:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The moderators note says why they changed your post and has a link to the forums rules!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NedLudd
Grafter

The PN supplied TG582n supports loopback out of the box!
Geoff,
York.
les37b
Grafter

Thanks Jelv.... Despite what it says, it wasnt obvious - and I did even glance the link. Cant say I agree with it, especially when multiquoting! But i know now.  Cool
Nedlud - cheers for that! I wouldnt have quoted you - but not allowed too!  Grin
(Hope I got the username spelt right!)
Hmmmm So last night I looked at my Belkin N600 gigabit router  (which doesnt support Nat Loopback) to see if I could telnet and add that line. Opening up CMD and telnetting, simply said the telnet command wasnt valid. And using a telnet client, it opened a dos box then just died. I'm guessing that means it cant be telnetted. Does that sound right? Id much prefer to use a gigbit modem if I can, but if not... ho hum!