cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO VPN

dragonkeeper

NO VPN

Hi i am new to this forum but here goes, I would like to connect to my work via VPN, but all I get when I try and connect is a time out box and there must be a problem with my IP or router, I have contacted Plusnet via the land line and they tell me they don't support VPN  and give me some jargon about updating my router which is the Thomson TG585 v7, as i had never done this before I give it a try but I can't get past the the user name and password, it does not accept admin and the serial number, can any one help please? one other thing do i have to do this update from the pc that is wired to the router or can it be done from my wirless laptop?
10 REPLIES 10
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: NO VPN

I think the username 'admin' only applies to the v8 rather than the v7 (I have a v8 so I know the correct username for this, I THINK it should be 'Administrator' for the v7).
Once you get that far, you do need to use a PC on a wired connection, please refer to this guide in the 'Library' section: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
- hope this helps, sorry I'm not sure about the login for your router version but I'm sure someone will clarify pretty soon.
-  Alastair.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Password information for the TG585 routers depends on when it was supplied. This Help & Support page gives details. If the password is the serial number make sure you enter all letters in upper case.
I think you need to update the router firmware to v8.2.6.5.
David
dragonkeeper

Thanks Guy's
But it won't upgrade, it 's now telling me the upgrade failed to down load retry or power down and restart, I have done the router but should i have done the pc as well? I am starting to pull whats left of my hair out with this. what am i doing wrong now?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Dragonkeeper,
Please ensure that you're using this software: http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/TG_UPGRADE.zip unless you're running Windows 7, in which case you need this: http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/Windows%207%20Upgrade%20Tool.zip
Next, check the update you're trying to apply, it must be for a v7, not for a v8 - the one recomended for PPTP based VPN is this: http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/firmware/branded_R8265.bin
Also ensure that you're directly connected by ethernet to port number 1 on the router.
If it fails once, try again (ideally try a different PC if you have one available), if it fails again then contact customer support and request a remote update (they should be able to do this if you have tried and failed).  If you're in luck a staff member may pick up your post and arange for you.
Good luck - Alastair.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dragonkeeper

Thanks Alastair but still no luck, i have phoned PN and they say they can't update the v7, so i asked them to send me a netgear router that they are suposed to be now sending out but they have none and don't know when a new delivery of them is going to be avaliable. I like others are getting fed up with PN the bigger they get the worst it seems to go. I am having to use a T Mobile dongle to get my VPN
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dragonkeeper,
I'll send you out a new TG585v7 with 8.2.6.5 pre-installed.
Jojo Smiley
dragonkeeper

Thanks Jojo,
i will look forward to trying it out, I was just about to put in a complaint but i won't bother now, what do you want me to do with the old one?
Cheers Colin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Colin,
You're welcome to keep it as a spare.
Jojo Smiley
dragonkeeper

Jojo
YOUR A STAR
Thank you very much for your help, why can't the people on the phone do what you have just done, thats all i wanted for the last 10 months is a working VPN.
Cheers and thanks again Colin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: dragonkeeper
why can't the people on the phone do what you have just done

Your account doesn't have the facility to send out this router anymore. It was just lucky that I happened across one with the necessary firmware on. We do provide the firmware on the website, but as you we having trouble applying it I thought this would be an easier solution. I'm really glad it worked for you though.
Jojo Smiley