cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery IP address

julesandsand
Grafter

Mystery IP address

When my router displays the DHCP list, there is a mystery device connected. It's listed as (non and has a MAC address. The particular IP address is not associated with any device in the full network map in Windows and I can't ping it.
Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Mystery IP address

Could it be something that has been connected and it's DHCP lease has not yet expired?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
itsme
Grafter

My router if I click on the MAC address will return with the manufacturer that has that address range which help trace down unknown connections. If your router does not do that then use http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/
julesandsand
Grafter

Typical - just logged into the router's interface and only this PC is showing, despite my wife's laptop and 7 Sonos clients are all connected.
The MAC address began with 54 an and everything else on my network begins 00.
The only other thing I can think of is my mobile phone - I did connect it to the network the other day.
julesandsand
Grafter

Found it - it's a Sony Bravia TV with an internet connection.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that. I'd spent a while triyng to find that one with no luck at all.
Jojo Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran

I trust the TV is yours and not a neighbours.. Wink Smiley
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
julesandsand
Grafter

That's why I was so keen (paranoid) to find out what it was. I once had my WEP secured router hacked by someone nearby who was stealing my bandwith.

The TV in question is in my games room and isn't on all that often which is why it didn't appear in the DHCP table every day, now that I've finally got a router that properly displays everything on the DHCP table.
Now WPA secured, SSID not broadcast, router password unguessable.
Told you I was paranoid!  Wink
Strat
Community Veteran

It pays to be paranoid Wink Smiley
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Certainly does. I've got an apache server running on my network and had taken security of my php scripts quite seriously.  I notice that after recently amending my domain A record DNS to my ip that the regular attacks started rolling in including quite a few attempting to access setup scripts in phpmyadmin. They've even tried multiple url's and directories to try and access it so that they could hack in. Didn't do much good though Wink
dick:quote
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!