cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious loss of Internet Connection

Spruance
Grafter

Mysterious loss of Internet Connection

I was online at 00:17am today (Feb 28th) when I noticed that I had gone offline. I opened the Thomson Gateway on my 585v7 router and though the internet had disconnected the DSL connection was still up and running, so I made several attempts to re-establish the internet link but without success. Shortly afterwards the DSL connection went down as well and although that came back on within a matter of minutes the internet remained off and was still off when I checked again at 02:52 having intentionally left the PC on for this purpose. I shut it down then and it seems to be ok again now but I just wondered what the likely cause might be?
The router's diagnostic tool stated that there was "No ATM activity detected on your DSL line" and this remained a constant factor throughout the duration of the fault..
Is this likely to be a fault on my router or downtime at the exchange? (Boston, Lincs).
14 REPLIES 14
Nuance

Re: Mysterious loss of Internet Connection

I had exactly the same problem at the same time in Norwich - I gave them a ring last night and apparently large areas of the South East were affected, so it wasn't just us! I thought that would be the end of it when it came back this morning though, but it seems to have resurfaced for me as of a few minutes ago... for the sake of work, I'm very glad I can tether! Hope it's fixed soon.
Edit: May have spoke too soon on the fault resurfacing as it seems to be fine for me now!
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

similar thing just happened to me in Norwich but they started my upgrade to 2+ today so I put it down to that
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

messenger won't sign in now with troubleshooter stating there is a problem with my hosts file that might interfere with name resolution. could be just a coincidence I suppose?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PhyllisTyne,
Are you still having trouble with your connection?
Jojo Smiley
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

no, seems fine since the glitch about 3 hours ago. It had been up since first thing this morning when I assumed it went down due to the upgrade. Interestingly bearing in mind my other problems it had been up for 22 days rock solid before that and I'm still using the old 585 not the shiny new technicolor you sent. The only thing I did do 22 days ago was turn off wireless on what I believe to be the suspect Ipod touch. Once the speed upgrade has settled I will turn the ipod's wireless on again and see if that really was the problem. If not is will probably remain a mystery for al time!
PT
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PhyllisTyne,
Good to hear. Now that you have an increased line rate I have lifted your speed profile to 11800K, so you should see that increase shortly.
Jojo Smiley
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, well pleased so far:

D/L  U/L   Date        Time
6811 376   05/02/2012 22:36
7108 369   06/02/2012 09:43
6805 377   06/02/2012 17:31
6667 376   07/02/2012 15:43
6863 361   08/02/2012 08:30
6249 375   27/02/2012 09:10
11133 716   29/02/2012 09:00
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fantastic news, hope it stays that way Smiley
If there's anything else we can do to help please let us know.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

looks like it went down 3 hours or so ago. Is this likely to happen during the 10 day training. It seems the sync speeds have changed since yesterday.
Also I don't think have never seen SN figures like these:
Uptime: 0 days, 3:27:27
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,268 / 13,497
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 28.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 32 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 62 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 24,753
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 41
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 40
annatg

hi,
i seem to loose my internet connection for the second month now. ipad and laptop works ok most of the time on wireless but stationary computer, connected to the line, keeps getting disconnected, and only works again after switching broadband box, Thompson TG585v7, off and on at the main.
i have done speed checks and all seems fine.
i tried different computer, thinking that is faulty, but still experience the same problem. Is it a broadband box? please help.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

With a restart of the router bringing the connection back it could well be a fault with the device itself (by that I mean the Thompson TG585v7)
I'm going to advise that you try resetting the box to factory defaults, that's done by holding a pin/cocktail stick/something of similar size whilst it's switched on, wait for the lights to stop flashing, leave it 5 minutes then try again.
Let me know if you still have problems after that.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
annatg

thanks Adam for you help, i have followed your instructions and hope that solves my problem. will let you know if it's otherwise. regards
annatg

hey,
I'm back frustrated, my internet connection problem, as described above, persists after reseting the router to factory setting. Please help. Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@PhyllisTyne - It looks like your line was set with SNR values of 6dB on both the downstream and the upstream, which will be what's caused the increase in sync speed though could also be the cause of the disconnections. If it does disconnect don't worry, it's just that the DLM system now knows that your line isn't stable with an SNR of 6dB on the downstream unfortunately and it'll retrain with a higher SNR setting. This will reduce the sync speed slightly (an increase in SNR of 3dB will reduce the sync speed by around 800kb/s and vice versa if the SNR is lowered). I don't think you've anything to worry about.
@anna11 - From checking your connection logs it seems you've a dropping connection fault. The best thing to do would be to run through the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net, if the tests shown there don't highlight what's wrong then it'll drop a ticket out to our faults team who will get investigating and get things sorted for you.