Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed gone lower [solved]

leeanthony
Grafter

Re: My speed gone lower

Ahhhh we have some action  Wink
Not sure how Im gona post all this, looks like I will have to do a few screenshots because I didnt do what you said to do earlier oops :<
Ive been watching a film and had a little kip, while this has been on going so I havent been aware of anything. There is no one else at home just me, so no ones been using the phone etc.
It looks like I got disconnected on the first picture, on the second picture it looks super good lol but then on the third, as its the current.. I duno whats going on  Shocked
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are correct about the resync in the first chart as that is the only way the reported upstream noise margin can change as it isn't reported dynamically.
The third chart is worrying but also informative.
Something is happening to badly affect your noise margin. Have you anything coming on at those times in your property - something on a thermostat for example
Also from the first chart something probably switched off at about 10:56 - hence the jump in noise margin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That looks like your problems. Any electrical equipment being used by you or your neighbours? (e.g. Hoover, washing machine)
Can somebody that knows how to use a detuned radio as a detector post instructions please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
leeanthony
Grafter

Well my heating has been off all day if you mean that
I had a tuna salad at about half 10 - 11am so I didnt use the oven or microwave etc, all I did do was turn the tap on and opened the fridge
Ive had my tele on in my bedroom and ofcourse my pc, the skybox is on but I havent been using that. I was watching 2012 on the tele from the pc
Cannot think of anything else I have used today
As for neighbours I really wouldnt know! If it matters though, I live in a detached house and my house is actually on its own, further away than the others
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you unplug the Skybox from the phone line for a while
How is your water heated - immersion heater or gas/oil boiler
leeanthony
Grafter

OK i unplugged the skybox
Im not sure how my water is boiled though sorry, house is about 10 years old if you can make a guess from that... My guess is gas, but im not 100% sure. I would have to ask my dad later
leeanthony
Grafter

Never thought of this myself nor expected it
http://boliston.wordpress.com/2009/03/15/sky-box-is-slowing-down-my-broadband/
Is this a known issue by you guys? My sky box is often on standby aswel
Or is this guy on wordpress.com talking poop?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There have been a number of well documented cases where a Skybox has messed up the ADSL signal. It is usually but not always down to a faulty box/filter.
If disconnecting the Sky Box seems to fix the problem you could try double filtering it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep, unfortunately it does happen. Sky boxes, fax machine and other similar items are the reasons we ask for testing at the master socket with no other devices connected.
Our Sky+ HD box actually stops us being able to use the phone. Sad
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
leeanthony
Grafter

lol I was writing about the current circumstance but now I just saw it drop.. I unplugged the skybox over half hour ago..
it didnt drop when I first unplugged the sky box, it didnt do anything..
any ideas?
any other tests I can do, or what should I do now.
also by the way, what noise margin do i actually want? i dont even know whats considered good or bad  Tongue
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Sky installation engineers are not known to be over fussy about whether they plug the Sky box in to a filter which is one significant problem!
The actual noise margin figure doesn't matter so much, it's the significant drops that you want to eliminate.
I'd hope to see something like the attached.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You are really going to have find out what happened at 16:45 to mess up the noise margin.
While the noise level is lower go round switching off electrical items and see if any of them have an effect. You don't need to leave them off permanently. Just long enough to see if the noise margin rises then switch it on again and try the next one.
Prime candidates
Immersion heater
Fridge
Freezer
Electric heater
Note - don't mess about with your gas/oil boiler without talking to your father first
leeanthony
Grafter

but honestly nothing is being used, there is only me at home right now and its only been me at home all day. ive got sky and tv in my bedroom, nothing is being switched on for short periods of time or anything like that.... the only thing thats been on is my tele pc and sky and theyve been on all day
another picture.. another drop  Cry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you hear any noise on the phone when the margin is at a lower level?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You are missing the point
The following items wil be switched on permanently but controlled by thermostats so that they will switch on and off all by themselves
Immersion heater (possibly on a time switch as well as a thermostat)
Fridge
Freezer