Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed gone lower [solved]

leeanthony
Grafter

My speed gone lower [solved]

Hi
I dont fully understand the IP profile and stuff, and I dont know what my IP profile used to be nor am I fully aware of what it is now.
My router tells me what speed I am connected at, it used to always be between 7,500 and 8,128 and I used to download at over 700kb/s.
I had these speeds for weeks with no problems. It was great, and I miss those speeds.
I havent changed anything at all, but now my router tells me that it is connected between 4,500 and 6,500 on average. Which is a larger gap than it used to be, and my download speeds are only roughly 400kb/s now.
Why?  Cry
243 REPLIES 243
leeanthony
Grafter

Re: My speed

Here are some stats/info:
Router settings:
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,368
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.5 / 35.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
BT Speedtest
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3130 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6368 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps
Plusnet Info
Phone exchange:
    FLINT
Estimated line speed:
    4.0 - Checked on 2009-11-23 12:45:17
Current line speed:
BBmax Speedtest
Download Speed: 3220 kbps (402.5 KB/sec )  Upload Speed: 350 kbps (43.8 KB/sec )

leeanthony
Grafter

Why 3,500?  Cry Did I do something wrong?  Cry
HaydnExport
Grafter

Re: My speed gone lower

from what i have learn't recently , if you lose sync to a lower speed than your usual line speed your ip profile will drop pretty quick, and will go up after 3 days of sync at a higher speed.  Check your router stats for the time you have been connected.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: leeanthony
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 14.5

This looks like a target noise margin of 15dB which indicates a noisy line.
Pick up the phone, dial 17070, choose Option 2, and check to hear if you can hear any crackling/hissing on the line.
Also, try plugging your router into the BT Test socket, and reposting the same statistics from your router.
B.
leeanthony
Grafter

Ive had a bt engineer out already about having a noisy line, he said the line is perfectly fine. he ran a quiet noise test and then he ran an eclipse test on my line from the exchange. so no i doubt its anything to do with having a problem with my line
maybe its because i was turning my router off at night then like hayd said
HaydnExport
Grafter

I have had my router sync at 2mbs lower than usual because of electric going out due to forgetting to top up the key,  plus i lost sync that many times the other night because of an electrical storm bt switched me back onto interleaving !  Embarrassed  temperamental this 'tinterweb .
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@HaydnExport, we can turn off interleaving for you if you like?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

leeanthony
Grafter

Well any suggestions for me to increase my speed or what? 😕
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just switching off your router at night wouldn't cause a problem, but multiple reboots in a short interval would as would repeated loss of sync. See Barry's reply #4, something appears to have put your Target SNRM at 15dB which is reducing your sync speed. You've also had a low sync event sometime recently  hence that profile.
Like most issues of this nature it is undoubtedly intermittent. Keep checking your line at regular intervals, and particularly if you see a sync drop.
Switching on at a noisy time eg in the evening, will give you a slower sync. If you do a powerdown reboot in daytime between 0930 & 1430 with current propagation conditions, see if you can better that sync speed (unless your last sync was in daytime around those times). Tip - if you've done a few reboots lately or when you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have an intermittent line problem.
Have you tried an alternative modem/router and/or filter at all?
leeanthony
Grafter

I see several others posting very recently about slow speeds all of a sudden, speed reduced by half etc.. funny how no PN rep says anything to me about this.... cant handle all your customers at max speed or something huh?
leeanthony
Grafter

this is my 3rd router this month  Undecided
and im not investing into anything else now, with the amount of problems plusnet have had and still have, whats the point in me wasting any more money when a month later they announce OH SORRY WE HAD PROBLEMS... yeah try announcing it before people go wasting there money thinking its there own hardware next time
leeanthony
Grafter

well ive just changed my filters anyway for sake the of it coz i had spares
seriously what else am i supposed to do?  Crazyive already had a bt engineer out this month, he assures me there is no noise on my phone line. he rewired everything, ran tests locally and at the exchange, and reassured me that my telephone line is perfectly fine.
so what am i supposed to do?
i did reboot the router quite alot within a couple days about a week ago, thats about the only problem i can think of.. but since then my routers been on 24/7 and i still get crap speeds and my ip profile is still at 3.5....why cant you just increase my ip profile like you do for everyone else who ask you too.. and then let my bt profile eventually match it  Undecided talk about being treated equally! not me
zubel
Community Veteran

Your Sync speed is not controlled by Plusnet
Having an SNRM of 15dB indicates you have a  bad connection to the exchange
There is no question about it.  The cause may be your line, your internal wiring, your router, or any of a hundred different things.  Just because an engineer came out and said that your line is fine does not mean that it is
People who are reporting low throughput speeds are often reporting high sync speeds, but substantially lower throughput - YOUR ISSUE IS NOT THE SAME
B.