cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed does not reflect my profile

fxbronte
Grafter

My speed does not reflect my profile

Last week I had some problem with my telephone line, and a BT engineer came on the 25t March and resolved my noise problem.
For the last 2 days the BT test is as follows:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
305 Kbps

0 Kbps 3500 KbpsMax Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 305 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 600-3500 Kbps. Additional Information: Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 3500 Kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault
PN member centre tab indicates
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:

My modem sync is:
Downstream  Upstream

Data Rate (Kbps)              4032        448 

Noise Margin (dB)                14          19 

Attenuation (dB)                    42          24 

I have asked PN for help both by ticket and phone, and I only get the reply to wait for 72hrs, and I am unable to get them to understand that the profile looks correct but that the actual speed 305 Kbps, is wrong. I have waited 72 hrs, the profile both in BT and PN have been updated but my actual speed remains pathetic.
Any suggestions?, please!!!
12 REPLIES 12
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: My speed does not reflect my profile

It may be worth trying a Router Re-boot.... but do it between 10:00 and 15:00 and do it only once......  Disconnet from the phone line..... power down the router, wait for at least 10 minutes, then re- connet to the phone line, then power up the router..... wait for it all to connect, then run  a mybroadband speed test. and a BT speed test.... put both results on here....
SlumberJack
Dabbler

I've got the same issues here.
Line usually sits at a sync of 2300Kbps but for some reason the weekend before last reset to 800Kbps.  I noticed on the tuesday(was away for the weekend), rebooted the router, got sync at 2400k, waited 3 days for profile to change to 2000.
All seemed fine but the actual line speed is still at 89k/s not  the usual 200k/s I get.
Raised a ticket at the weekend but no response yet.
All 3 BT speed tests show ~650Kbps
Looks like it's being throttled somewhere.
Cheers
Richard
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The profile on our side of things is showing at 1750 so I don't think that's the cause... what connection profile is reported if you run a BT speed test from http://www.speedtester.bt.com ?
SlumberJack
Dabbler

Download speedachieved during the test was - 629 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2368 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps
Profile must have dropped to 1750 when I last reset the router this morning.
This is the same speeds (629 ish)  are were achieved when the profile was at 2000k
I can't see it being contention, as it's always that rate, never varies.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, a line test hasn't shown any inconsistencies with the profile at the exchange and you're definitely on the correct profile on our side of things. Do you have more than one PC on your home network, and if so are the speeds the same on them as well? As yet I can't see any reason for the slowdown though antivirus and firewalls can sometimes slow a connection down, just wondering if that's a possibility.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: shutter
....  Disconnet from the phone line..... power down the router, wait for at least 10 minutes, then re- connet to the phone line, then power up the router.....

Er, why disconnect from the phone line? Not required when rebooting the router.
If a disconnection for any other reason is required, say, rewiring a socket etc, then power down the router first.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
SlumberJack
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Do you have more than one PC on your home network, and if so are the speeds the same on them as well? As yet I can't see any reason for the slowdown though antivirus and firewalls can sometimes slow a connection down, just wondering if that's a possibility.

Just ran the speedtest from another machine on my network and got the same results.  604K  Undecided
This one has a different OS and virus checker.
fxbronte
Grafter

My speed is getting worse!!!
latest BT test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 282 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4032 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
",,,,,,useful for your ISP to investigate the fault"    I am still waiting for my ISP to reply!!!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@fxbronte,
Looking at your connection logs, you've been connected constantly since the profile was down at 350. Now that it's increased you may find a single reconnect of your router helps the speed increase.
@SlumberJack
Your issue is the same, you've been connected since the profile was at 750 and not reconnected since it's increased.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fxbronte
Grafter

Chris,
I was told by one of your colleagues to specifically NOT to reconnect my router as this will drop the connection and the 72 hours wait  will start again.
I have now rebooted my router and everything is now OK, I only wish I had not wasted the last 3 days,
Thanks
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The 72 hour period will only restart if your router reconnects at a lower speed to the exchange. Glad to hear it's all ok now though.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SlumberJack
Dabbler

Chris,
Thanks for that, seems to have sorted the issue.
The odds thing is that I have resync'd my adsl connection a few times in the past days but you show no connection drop at your end.
A complete power off of the router this time has increased the downstream speed.  Upstream still seems low at 0.23M/s

Cheers
Richard