cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My router died, it disconnected loads of times, replacement is slow.

lotsofjam
Grafter

My router died, it disconnected loads of times, replacement is slow.

Hey, my router has kicked the bucket so I have put the technicolour router I got when I bought the service installed back on, and its working fine, the problem is when the broken router was plugged in, it kept disconnecting over and over and over which as resulted in a very low line profile speed. The router went a bit mental it seems.
It was at 3.5 mb, now its 0.9. It's pretty horrible at the moment. I know that waiting a few days will hopefully bring it back up to a more normal speed once it has stabilized, but I was curious if a plusnet god on here could bump it up manually for me? My account name is the same as my name on this forum.
I would really appreciate it.
19 REPLIES 19
zapto
Grafter

Re: My router died, it disconnected loads of times, replacement is slow.

One of the support guys should be able to raise an order for the profile to be reset if you have corrected the issue. Im not sure if CRT will be on the forums today (however it is a working day) might be worth a call if your free.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've reset the SNR. You should notice an improvement in four hours or so. If this fails, our faults team will pick up the ticket that's on your account (or post back here and we'll pick it up).
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
lotsofjam
Grafter

Hello there! Thanks Tony, I have spoke to someone on the phone and the speeds are better however, I now have a new issue. This technicolor router is also being disconnected every so often like maybe every hour? I connected to the router to see whats up and I had the message:-
Last Error Message: Disconnected because idle timeout reached

Um... I was using it. It certainly wasn't idle.
lotsofjam
Grafter

And now it's down to 1.2 mbps. Before all this started it was at 3.5, and it was like that for a very long time.
lotsofjam
Grafter

Preety much every half hour my internet connection hangs for about 10 seconds then comes back or boots me off completely. It's not 30 mins on the dot mind you.
lotsofjam
Grafter

Major update:
I have decided to plug a phone into the socket and see if I can hear anything odd, note that I live with my parents, this is a second phone line that I pay for that I specifically only use the internet. I plugged in a phone and I can hear crackling. I started up world of warcraft and watched what happens when it crackles. When I hear it crackle, it lags, every time. If it does it for long enough, I dc. I have plugged the filter directly into the socket under the panel as I have now noticed that there is another cable going off this to god knows where in the house. I'll see if it remains stable.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi LotsOfJam,
You certainly need to get the noisy line issue reported to your phone provider - is that PlusNet?
With the faceplate disconnected, is the phone line still noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Is your parent's phone line noisy too?  If it is, get that reported to their phone provider - there could be a common fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lotsofjam
Grafter

Right, noise on the line is now sorted, it was the wiring somewhere in the house, I have disconnected it since this is the only socket in use.
I could do with the SNR resetting again please!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I suspect that won't be possible. It usually can't be done during a 10 day training period. Whether one of the CRT guys can get BTw to force it, I'm not sure, you'll have to wait until one of them picks it up, which may not be until Monday.
Do keep an ear on it though by doing the quiet line test periodically, it might be intermittent.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

As Anotherone says, we'll need to wait another ten days to do another reset. We won't get it done sooner I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
lotsofjam
Grafter

Just got an e-mail, turns out there is a "battery contact" failure on the line and I have a 3 day EST. Thanks for the swift response plusnet! Cheesy
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Battery contacts tend to be quite soon to resolve, so hopefully it will be done before the estimate.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
lotsofjam
Grafter

Hi again, Tony today I have come back from work to this:-
https://imgur.com/zlnJq6D
I can forget any kind of video streaming, I might be able to play games if absolutely no other devices are connected to my hub.
I don't know what's happened when I was away today, can this be looked at?
I know you said the SNR can't be reset again but this is unbearably slow. Did BT do this? What's happened?
lotsofjam
Grafter

Another update.
A BT guy came out today while I was at work, looked at the line, did some tests and left again without letting my mother know what the status is and my line is still broken. I can't use the internet for more then a few mins, it keeps getting kicked off.
It's been 5 days since I reported this, its been working off and on but it's got worse and worse. I am talking to you atm via my iphones hotspot.