Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My own modem right from day 1?

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: My own modem right from day 1?

Thanks, if you can't then I have replied to the email as per instructions and maybe a human will respond.  Sigh... I REALLY want to use this silly new router!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I didn't have to register when I last read it.
Just tried to register, and it wants the serial number.
Away from home and I'm sure the router web UI doesn't display it.
I tried a few fake ones, but then got a patronising message about them being unable to verify my details and then even more detail on how to read a label.
And all this is to view a website to read a [Censored] FAQ page. Roll_eyes
@IngeJones - I did print off a copy so PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you a scanned copy of what I have. It isn't very long and really all you have to do is compare the config displayed in the screenshots.
And there was me thinking I was downloading governement secrets.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If it helps, there's a copy of the Draytek guide on here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Features/Article.asp?TextID=2095

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks MisterW.
That's the one.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Smiley
My remaining concern now is with firewall stuff.  I need to forward port 80 (which I think I have got set now), but other than that I would expect normal refusal to entertain incoming requests from WAN.  Can I assume the router starts off secured by default or do I have to try and understand its Firewall rules page before I dare put it live?
Alex
Community Veteran

Did it work then?
Not 100%, but yes that's how I understand the firewall thing.
I Remote Desktop into my home server from the outside (mainly whilst at work), so have a custom port open for that (for security I don't use 3389).
Always worth doing a GRC Shields up test to see if ports are closed (as you'd like). Also works in the reverse case so you can check a port forwarding rule is working.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Thanks.
I can't test whether it connects yet, as I have to give my users some reasonable notice of downtime to swap round the modems.  They just got over one lot of testing, so I am aiming to try the new settings early one morning in the week Cheesy  I thought I better find out as much as I can about it beforehand this time!  Currently the Vigor is sitting on our LAN being set up, but not wired to the phone socket.
Alex
Community Veteran

Cool, let me know if you want advice on the port forwarding rule (I'm a poet but didn't know it).
Ended up taking the unit into work, me and the sysadmin plugged it into an old laptop and he helped me with that. 
Edited due to I (still) can't type on an iPhone.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I swapped the modem/router over this morning, and it all worked smoothly!  Thank you to everyone who has helped me here Smiley