Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My linespeed keeps decreasing

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: My linespeed keeps decreasing

From what I can see your sync speed hasn't improved at all. Can you post the stats you're seeing from your router?

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 8.5 25.5
SNR Margin: 5.8 6.0
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 46306 10882
Speed: 1108 6328

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 12480 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 9984
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 3200
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 86400
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Rossco72
Dabbler

After the engineer left, I tried a couple of things;

I done a factory reset on my Linksys WRT1900AC Router, disabled wireless, connected only my macbook pro and ran a speedtest, this was fairly consistent at around 5.5mbps on both ookla and BTWholesale. I tried to run the advanced diagnositics on BTW but it returns an error every time.

I then opened a brand new Billion 8800NL R2 router, again setup to connect to PN, disabled any advanced features or wifi etc and hard wired my macbook pro to the router as the only device. The system diagnostics showed me connecting through ADSL2+ with a sync speed of around 12.4mbps, however i tried both ookla and BTW again and could get no better than 5.5mbps.

I have swapped out ethernet cables for Cat6 and Cat5e with no joy, I swapped the microfilter with no joy.

I am convinced this is some sort of profile issue or restriction on my account, I can think of no other explanation. I don't have and have never had a plusnet router so I cannot provide any data from that. 

In the end i restored my Linksys to previous settings as these have all my routing tables etc enabled for the different devices on my home network and there was no speed improvement using the Billion even with the higher sync speed shown.

So if Openreach can connect to my phone line and get 15mbps, why can't I through plusnet?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If your Linksys router is only synching at 6Mbps, but the Billion synchs at 12, does this not suggest a faulty Linksys?

If Openreach were able to get higher speeds, then getting a decent modem/router should be your first priority.

Rossco72
Dabbler

I am amazed that people post replies without actually reading the information presented.

The Linksys is a £200 highly regarded router with nothing wrong with it. And if you had read the information, attaching the Billion made no difference to the speed I was getting, still 5.5mbps regardless!

The information is easier to extract on the Billion as the Linksys runs DD-WRT which doesn't have easy access to the sync speed and line stats.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

I am just as amazed at people ignoring the facts.

@MatthewWheeler has shown you the synch speeds of your Linksys in the table above.

You have said the Billion synch was higher.

Speeds tests may be restricted by the profile on your line.

£200 or not, not having access to basic information is not helping you.

Rossco72
Dabbler

The facts are i was getting no better/different connectivity when i used the Billion router, I mearly was able to see more readily what I already knew.

The limitation on the Linksys is nothing to do with the router, any google search will show it is one of the most powerful and fastest routers available. However DD-WRT firmware doesn't show the information in the format where I can post it.

If there was a problem with the Linksys, why is it the same on the Billion and even on the spare BT router the engineer had in his van. No matter what is attached, the minute i sign into plusnet my speed is being restricted. TBH i have just about had enough, I am looking at alternative suppliers. Plusnet used to stand for something that it no longer appears to.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf,

Can you advise if the profile is correct and if it has any bearing on the symptoms experienced.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The profile on the account seems to have been changing in line with the delta reports being received:

Date BT Product Speed Contention Speed Profile Event
2017-07-31 17:22:13 WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) Uncapped Upstream 24000   5500 Generic Speed 5500 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2017-07-30 02:13:49 WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) Uncapped Upstream 24000   5400 Generic Speed 5400 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2017-07-27 18:01:22 WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) Uncapped Upstream 24000   6200 Generic Speed 6200 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2017-07-13 07:45:18 WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) Uncapped Upstream 24000   5900 Generic Speed 5900 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2017-07-05 15:46:43 WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) Uncapped Upstream 24000   6300 Generic Speed 6300 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2017-07-01 10:39:43 WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) Uncapped Upstream 24000   5700 Generic Speed 5700 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report

Rossco72 wrote:
I was getting, still 5.5mbps regardless!

This matches with the profile on the account, which is set correctly for the 6328 sync speed @MatthewWheeler got when testing the line yesterday.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran

The OP was getting a higher sync speed with another router, however they did not leave it online long enough for a new Delta report to come out and adjust the profile.

For some reason I believe his Linksys router is not getting the best sync speed.

So they are in a bit of a catch 22, until another router or modem is put on the line for long enough to get an updated Delta report.

Rossco72
Dabbler

So, what is required here? Attach the Billion Router and verify the sync speed then wait how long for the profile to update?

After that, does anyone know what will happen if i swap back over?

I've studied all i can with my equipment but the use of profiles/software/traffic management/traffic shaping/etc. etc. by the ISP is beyond my knowledge at present.

On a final note, this same Linksys setup was until about 6-7 weeks ago quite happily churning out 12Mbps regularly without any intervention, I am not aware of any changes at my end however it "appears" some form of profiling or management is being introduced, either at the ISP end or, by reasons unknown to me, at my end. I have been over every setting in every menu of the router and cannot find any reason for capping speeds.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@HarryB wrote:

This matches with the profile on the account, which is set correctly for the 6328 sync speed @MatthewWheeler got when testing the line yesterday.

@HarryB,

Your comment made me go re-read the whole of the thread.  I note that the attenuation for this line is 25dB which ought to deliver 18Mbps and indeed the BTw estimate is up to 14Mbps.  So the first question is why is the synch speed so low?  Has the line been banded?

@Rossco72 wrote:

I attached a brand new Billion router and it syncs with a downstream rate of almost 14mbps. With only my MacBook connected via ethernet and nothing elision on the router I still only get 5.5mbps???

I am beyond the limit of my knowledge here, how can the router sync at 14 and yet only throughput 5.5?

The second question (of @Rossco72) what is the router reporting in respect of DSL stats?  You mentioned better synch speeds, but you have not posted the full router stats as requested.

Somewhere or other there is a communications disconnection here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rossco72
Dabbler

I am going to attach the Billion router when I get home tonight and copy all of the stats. 

Unfortunately, whilst the DD-WRT firmware on my Linksys is great for some things, I cannot find out how to get the information people are looking for from it.

I will post the stats from the Billion later tonight.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Rossco72 I think your profile would be updated within 24 hours - I could be wrong though - but I would certainly put the Billion on for a least that, and check first your sync speed, and then speed tests to see if it improves.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The sync has increased now to 17088, the profile has also updated in turn.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 12.1 22.5
SNR Margin: 4.9 1.0
Errored Seconds: 14 28
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 18103 21196
Speed: 1088 17088

The loop loss has also altered, decreasing by 3db from previous tests.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I note the SNRM is just 1dB which is not going to be very stable.

@Chris, What's the target for the line please?

I'm wondering if the billion router is messing with the SNRM (never a good strategy) leading to line instability and consequential aggressive DLM action (speed reduction) to maintain stability?