cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My line appears to have significantly improved in stability

JC58
Hooked

My line appears to have significantly improved in stability

Up until this summer I've had a very unstable line which would drop several times a day and the downspeed would change each time. However, in the summer, my line showed some improvement in that it would run for up to around 30 days with only one or two drops but it would then appear to get totally confused and would hardly connect at all for up to 3 days (funnily enough mostly at weekends!) and the upspeed would fall to very low speeds, sometimes less than 64K (the downspeed would change too but would mostly stay around the 2 to 2.5Mb mark). Since around mid-October the stability has improved still further and I've only seen one line drop since then - can you confirm that this the case from your end by showing the Radius graph? If both ends are seeing a much more stable line then perhaps it's time to upgrade to FttC!

The line stability seemed to improve after BTO did some work at the local cabinet in the summer and again when they did some work in the manhole in my neighbours' front lawn in October.

5 REPLIES 5
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: My line appears to have significantly improved in stability

Hi @JC58,

Below is the radius graph you've requested, over the past 50-60 days things have looked spot on, and the line's remained stable so this seems to match what you've been seeing from your side - 

JC58
Hooked

Hi Jolo

Many thanks for the RADIUS graph - I'm quite pleased that it agrees with what I've seen over the past 50-odd days.

There is something that does concern me a little bit, though, before I upgrade to fibre, and that is that I receive quite a lot of LCP Timeouts (e.g. 9 in the last 14 minutes). They tend to come in bunches, however, as there aren't any others listed in my syslog for today (prior to 16:08); yesterday there were 3 at 09:18 and a bunch of 10 between 02:01 and 02:14; there aren't many days when there are none at all. I also see the occasional CHAP Timeout but these are much less frequent, the last one was at 17:43 on 3rd December.

My router is a Draytek Vigor2860ac with firmware version 3.8.9.5_BT - there is a later version, 3.8.9.6_BT, released  on 12th November, but I'm loathe to reboot my router as it is so stable! My current line stats are in the attached file, can you see anything that might be a cause for concern? According to SamKnows I'm 2.5km from the exchange but this is, of course, in a straight line. My current downspeed is in line with BT's expected performance although the ADSL speed calculator at https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php suggests that I should be getting between 3.5 and 4Mbps - although I realise that these figures are estimates.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @JC58

There's nothing in that attached file that concerns me.

Maybe have a hunt around on the Draytek forums and see if there are any reported issues with the firmware before you take the plunge?

From our perspective, we'll obviously be happy to help if the drops start to reoccur.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

JC58
Hooked

My line was switched to VDSL this morning at around 11:00 and the downspeed is just over 11 times faster the ADSL was. I know that the speed may change (hopefully improve!) over the next 10 days or so but the line stats (see attached PDF taken at around 1:15pm) look a little strange to me - I didn't know that you could have interleaved path mode for the downstream connection and still have fast path mode for the upstream; the interleave depth looks very high, too.

What do you think?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @JC58,

Great to hear it's been upgraded! Speeds can and do fluctuate for the first 10 days or so - usually petering off to the correct speeds toward the end of that timescale.

If you find your speeds are lowered that we have estimates/MGS confirmed when upgrading after the 10 day period please get back in touch with us.

Thanks.